Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

What brand oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Default What brand oil do you use?

don't know why I got crazy about motor oil.....anyway, could you please post what brand oil you use and your reasoning? Thanks.

I currently use regular pennzoil, 5w20, but want to try 5w30 oil for better protection. Car has 15,000 miles. I checked Castrol edge, Mobil1 (not Extended Performance), and Pennz Platinum (all 5W30's). I liked the Castrol edge for two things: (1) is low viscosity at cold temp (2) is a bit thinner than the other two (almost touches upper range of 5w20) (3) being a 5w30, and meets ACEA A5/B5, meaning HTHS (hi temp hi shear) is >2.9 (5w20 oils are 2.6)

What do you think?
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Castrol SynTech, 5w-20, occasionally 5w-30.
I used to use Moble1 until the rumors (that seemed to be substanciated?) seemed to indicate that they were using a cheaper base and that the protection wasn't what it used to be.
Have had good luck with Castrol products before. A good namebrand. If I depended on their TV ads, I would definitely look for another brand. I HATE all their recent commercials. ("Sludge," & "Dipstick Jimmy")

Old 03-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Yea, their commercial is totally wacky. Regarding to Mobil1, it's just a bit thicker then Pennz and Castrol. And their reformulation does not seem to go well with people who use M1 oils. No one is straightforward with what base stock they use in the synthetic segment, it's like if you did, and then no one would buy their product.

Someone found a M1 product sheet from its Japanese website (apparently, Japanese law requires it), saying M1 5w-30 is 40-50% mineral (which means group I,II,III, in Japan), but that's it, we don't know for sure what the rest is.

happy motoring, Virg!
________
Avandia injury lawyer

Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 PM

Valvoline.

Not a fan of Pennzoil - last I knew it has a paraffin base (i.e. wax) and can leave a build-up inside your engine. If you switch to synthetic this residue can wash down and clog your oil filter causing nasty problems. (Loss of oil pressure.)

Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Win, have you considered turning this into a poll thread? (Thread Tools> Add Poll to this thread)
BTW: I agree with Scott about Pennzoil. Parrifin is not necessarily a good base for modern engines. It is imo old-school thinking, when engine tolorances weren't able to be what they are today.

Last edited by virgin1; 03-06-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 PM

Amsoil, #1 in synthetics. And my father-in-law is a dealer. (Very important)

What is mineral oil? What minerals does it come from?

Aren't there only a couple of base stock manufacturers? Which are the large oil companies? So, really, I don't see that much difference in synthetics but I think there is a big difference between synthetics and traditional motor oils, though they (traditionals) have gotten much better in recent years.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Win, have you considered turning this into a poll thread? (Thread Tools> Add Poll to this thread)
BTW: I agree with Scott about Pennzoil. Parrifin is not necessarily a good base for modern engines. It is imo old-school thinking, when engine tolorances weren't able to be what they are today.

I read a lot about the Pennzoil "wax" problem, but many people say it was true and it's in the past, and Platinum is totally different.....so I don't know, by the spec sheet, the platinum has a long list, meeting Ford, GM4718M (Corvette), and Honda/Accura HTO-...

Only choice left (if I want to sleep better at night) is the Castrol Syntec or the new Edge. The edge is quite expensive, closing in onto Amsoil....but for Amsoil I'd have to drive 25 miles out of town......so Castrol is the final answer.

It'd be interesting to do a poll, could you help me to come up with a list? Thanks.
________
TrishaXXX cam

Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blk03PSD
Amsoil, #1 in synthetics. And my father-in-law is a dealer. (Very important)

What is mineral oil? What minerals does it come from?

Aren't there only a couple of base stock manufacturers? Which are the large oil companies? So, really, I don't see that much difference in synthetics but I think there is a big difference between synthetics and traditional motor oils, though they (traditionals) have gotten much better in recent years.
good for you....you know, not everyone is lucky enough to have a Amsoil dealer as a father-in-law.....enjoy your Amsoil.

Regarding the synthetiic oil, based on the information (or perhaps misinformation) they are created different, very different.
________
Bobbby_Joe cam

Old 03-07-2009, 04:15 AM

Running Royal Purple 5w-20. Particularly because of the proven horsepower and torque increases (constantly experiencing extreme torque steer since beginning use). The protection is the best I've seen in high performance motor oils, and it's purple!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:41 PM

I can see teh wear mark through the oil fill port, there's one cam lobe directly at the port.
the wear mark is at the tip of the cam lobe. The manual resommends 5w-20, but accepts 5w-30. so I'd like to switch 5w-30 for better wear protection.......gas mileage be damed. will try castrol syntec 5w-30.
________
Sunset Boulevard Residence 2

Quick Reply: What brand oil do you use?