Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Default wheel hop

I am wondering who has the most efficient answer to wheel hop in my 06 m3. I am new to this forum stuff , but in checking the postings i dont see anyone talking alot about this problem. I have a k&n cai, and exhaust on the car which improved both performance and mileage, but was not the start of the wheel hop issue. It started at about 10,000 miles and really hasn't got worse but really annoying. The dealership said if the stock struts are not leaking they won't warranty them. It is a 5 speed car, but i dont have to side step at 6g to make this happen, just roll off a light , around a corner and lay on it and all H--L breaks loose. The car is my wifes daily driver so idont intend to spend a fortune to cure this, but if I knew a good set of struts or urethane motor mounts and suspension bushings would cure it I would definately change them. Thanks guys, great forum.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: wheel hop

1. Get rid of the OEM BadYear's. That was my car's biggest "hopping" problem by far.And stay away from anything BadYear has a hand in too.
2. Youwould betrading one annoying problem for another, but another way to keep wheel hop to a minimum is use a firmer rear engine mount... sometimes called the "torque" mount. I have an AWR 77 durometer in mine, but w/the A/C on the steering wheel does vibrate. and when starting the car, there is a kick that wasn't there originally. As I said, a trade off.
3. Short of those two things, install a set of ladder bars.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:50 PM

the oe goodyears were toast at 20,000 and i replaced them with fuzions, which are cheap tires that look good , i went a little wider and about 20 mils higher, not much changed with the hop except i have to pry a little harder to break it loose, the engine mounts are definately the way i am leaning. if the engine is trying to flip over, it has to create a dirty rebound when the tires break traction. thanks for the answer.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:46 PM

ok, my friend was able to explain why wheel hop happens...

basically, in any car, when you accelerate, the back end of the car drops down, and the front lifts up, which gives you less traction on the front tires. so now, when you gun it, the front wheels skip cuz of loss of traction.
this is why we get spanked off the line by rwd cars

so to fix this, you need stiffer springs, and as virgin said, better engine mounts.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Replace the rear motor mount! I installed a billet aluminum mount form streetunit.com.

http://www.streetunit.com/MAZDASPEED..._p/sum3amm.htm

It cures the wheel hop issue. Takes about 15 minutes to install.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:55 PM

hurrah see when i biought my car it came with toyo's which is funny.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 PM

i realize that front wheel drives will lose on the weight transfer , a spinning issue isn't what bothers me, jumping up and down trying to snap an axle does bother me. the rear spring rate is a good point, with stiffer rear springs traction would be increased. but i dont think that would stop the hammering on the front right side. i had an04 sx\rt that would blaze the front tires at will without a hint of wheelhop, wish my 3sport would do the same!!!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: dentinger

basically, in any car, when you accelerate, the back end of the car drops down, and the front lifts up, which gives you less traction on the front tires. so now, when you gun it, the front wheels skip cuz of loss of traction.

so to fix this, you need stiffer springs, and as virgin said, better engine mounts.
have a stiffer suspension setup does not help the problem with wheelhop what-so-ever. i have tein coilovers on my car, as well as sway bars and struts...i still get as much wheel hop as i did when the suspension was stock.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: dentinger

having a stiffer suspension setup does not help the problem with wheelhop what-so-ever. i have tein coilovers on my car, as well as sway bars and struts...i still get as much wheel hop as i did when the suspension was stock.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM

hmm...i just figured it would help with the whole 'car rocking back' thing when accelerating.

p.s, where have you been lately?? this has got to be ur first post in months...

Quick Reply: wheel hop