Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Will driving w/o gas cap damage my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 06:19 AM

The fuel system is pressurized. The gas cap is integral part of that pressurization stability. Sorry to say anyone saying it's OK to allow fuel injection to operate unpressurized is incorrect. Replace the cap with a Mazda OEM pressure sensitive cap.

Old 07-25-2024, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by RedCX20204me
The fuel system is pressurized. The gas cap is integral part of that pressurization stability. here Sorry to say anyone saying it's OK to allow fuel injection to operate unpressurized is incorrect. Replace the cap with a Mazda OEM pressure sensitive cap. https://www.viberate.com/
Thats good to know, Thanks for the info!

Last edited by jakasspeech1; 08-11-2024 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by RedCX20204me
The fuel system is pressurized. The gas cap is integral part of that pressurization stability. Sorry to say anyone saying it's OK to allow fuel injection to operate unpressurized is incorrect. Replace the cap with a Mazda OEM pressure sensitive cap.
Really ??? explain where you ever read that in a technical manual or a source verified author as an ASE or at least Automotive engineering credentials??
The gas cap is part of the emission system. Not having the gas cap is actually more a Federal regulation because it causes air and ground pollution.
In some cases, you can read from DIY sourced information that it will cause you to lose MPG but that is from the fuel evaporating.
On the flip side if a gas cap was so important then there litterly would be vehcles breaking down every day every where and they aren't.
Not having a gas cap itself should not cause anything except a check engine light a DTC(S) and your monitors to be in fault until the cap is replaced wither missing or damaged or not sealing properly.

Originally Posted by jakasspeech1
Cant believe some DIY members on forum for empirical information. Do your research if you want the straight facts and not someone guessing?

READ THIS THREAD:

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 08-11-2024, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jakasspeech1
Last edited by jakasspeech1; Today at 06:54 AM.[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI your original response is in the member history as well any member that sets watch this thread in thier setting will get an alert and the original quote. So editing your response at any time and espcially after this long is sorta of well... I would just say make sure you like what you post and not wait so long to edit if you don't in the future. Also it might be helpful to fill in the reason why you edited it? But I seldom do that.

Old 08-29-2024, 02:49 PM

just go to autozone dude