Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Window Seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Default Window Seals

Just noticed a problem with the upper seals of all four of my windows. When I go to roll them down they stick quite a bit. I noticed that the seal seems to be "melting" to the windows. This seems odd due to the fact it has not been over 45F here for 2 months now.
I did not have the problem in the summer.

Anybody else had this problems?
Suggestions for correcting?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Default RE: Window Seals

Things glue together when it gets cold. Same thing happens on some older cars except in other areas. For example, the window may roll down, but you have to pull on the door to get it to open. My only suggestion is make sure everything's clean inside the glass run (the rubber seal the window tucks into) and at the top of the window, and then warm your car up on the interior really well. I can tell you though that it's unlikely to cause any damage. If it does though and you're still under warranty, never be afraid to take it in to let 'em fix it. => If you're out of warranty, I can tell you how to replace damaged parts yourself. Good luck! =>

Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Lev

I've experienced this problem. It happens mainly on my front passenger door. Sometimes the window doesn't come down. I haven't been rolling down my windows because it's only 30 degrees as a high, so in the winter i haven't checked it out. I have notices black residue on the tops of all the windows.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 PM

is it coming off? i had this problem about 5 months ago. took it into mazda.. good as new

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Sounds like the seals are just deteriorating, Lev. apbbnbanb_07, you hadn't quite specified if yours is doing the same thing Lev's is. If your car is still under warranty (either of you), take it to your local Mazda dealer and they'll take care of you. => If you're not under warranty, It's not too difficult of a replacement, and the part(s) you'll need will be recognized by the dealer's parts department as the "glass run" or "glass channel" or "glass run channel" for any of the windows you're having trouble with. If you're not under warranty anymore, post again if you need some tips on how to do it. =>

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Lev

Oh man this stinks. I'm no longer under warranty.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 PM

I'm still under warranty, but what can they really do besides replace it with the same cheap part?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM

_07, it'll be the same part. But consider this: yours is doing itbut it's just your one '05 Mazda 3 out of thousands upon thousands of them out there. Defective parts get made sometimes. Outside of this forum, I have yet to see that problem in my shop. I'd let warranty replace it. If it fails again, just go back. I doubt it will though, unless climate plays a role in some way. =>

Lev, I can tell you how to replace the things yourself. Get prices from your dealer on the parts. You can try aftermarket if you wish, but a) I doubt you'll find rubber glass run channels at a regular parts store unless they order them from mazda, and b) if there is an aftermarket version, I would be shocked if it even fit right.

If you work for any automotive shop in the area, then tell that to the parts counter guy, and see if that can get you a discount. If you do get one, just make sure to tell him/her that you're still paying with your own money, and they need to charge regular sales tax (or however tax on purchases works in NY), as it's for you, and not for resale. But if you don't work for a shop then nevermind that idea lol.