Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Winter Tires - Has anybody switched over

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Default RE: Winter Tires - Has anybody switched over

I would not recommend "snow" tires in our GTA and west climate. We probably only see 4 heavy snowfalls. What you should really look for is a good snow and ice tire. Since most of our streets end up being snow packed and icy. Less of course you go north of Barrie or Shelburne. Then, were talking snow. Here's an off topic, sort of. My father inlaw was asking about winter tires for his Chevy Uplander minivan. He has 225/60R17's on his van. That's not the unusual piece. He has steel wheels with a six bolt patern. None of the locals or tire rack for that matter have steel wheels with a six bolt pattern. Very weird. So, I say go to the stealer and get some steel wheels or just put snows on the rims you have. With the conciquences that go with it. He needs the snows for sure. He lives at Sauble Beach. They are in the major snow belt.

I don't know about your all seasons Jamie. My Toyo's were not that good on the cold rainy day. Too easy to slip with a little accel. Take it easy on the roads this year. You don't want to get a 3 x 3 masive stone chip on your bumper.[:'(]

Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Your Uncleshouldcheck out thelocal junk yard(s) and see if they have some used wheels for his van. I used to do that all the time when I was running my Honda. It's a cheap way to go. He might even find some w/winter tires already installed. All he really needs to know is the bolt circle and what other vehicles use it. Then he can ask by vehicle type.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:59 AM

Well. First icy road snow day. How did you fair Jamie. Those ice tires are pretty good on the highway. I was doing about 100 k and looked stupid. Cause all the other "all season, I need to feel safe suv drivers" were driving around 70 k. Except for the Hummer. But, it's a Hummer. Better to slow down then stand out in the crowd.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:04 AM

i havent driven today... because i didnt work today nor did i go to school as buses in wellington and dufferin county were cancelled. yayyyyyy(im considered a bus student even though i drive every day woot). i may have to go to work depending on whether or not they call me... here is a pic of what my car;s first interaction with snow was. and the hummer probably woulkdnt care. if he crashed into anything generally he would win. wait was it an H2 or an H1?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12801/C1A709E9D2BC44D89EA1859B2F792D65.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-22-2007, 08:27 AM

Black H2.

He was just in my way going to the highway. No big deal. Don't want stone chips, so I did not ride him.
Probably on his way to work in Mississauga.
My car was clean. Had it parked in the garage. However, took me 20 minutes to clean the ice and crap off of my wifes car. Which blocks my way out of the garage. May have to give in and put her car in the garage. Cause I leave first.

Have a good day.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:54 AM

well i just went out to my car to get something and i could barely open the door it was just soo bad.. black h2 eh...

Old 11-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

well i just went out to my car to get something and i could barely open the door it was just soo bad.. black h2 eh...
Two words: Silicone spray. Silicone spray your door gaskets before bad weather hits and they will be much less likely to stick to the metal of the car and tear.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

Two words: Silicone spray. Silicone spray your door gaskets before bad weather hits and they will be much less likely to stick to the metal of the car and tear.

Or auto start with the heat on high LOL

Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

'Can't do that w/the stick shift.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM

I guess there is a good use for an automatic car then [8D]

Quick Reply: Winter Tires - Has anybody switched over