Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Wow. I think I need snow tires on my Mazda 3!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wow. I think I need snow tires on my Mazda 3!

AM sensors can be installed so the factory ones in your OE wheels do not have to be disturbed. The fact that MPShas been litigated as a std feature on all 2008+ cars has madeit a necessity in the AM too.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: mazdawanter

In reply to siber Express. Does that mean if I get cheap steel rim that my tpms light on the dash board will be stuck on all the time?
thanks.
depends on where you live. mine cost me 600 for everything. but well worth it. especially if you live somewhere where you get snow constantly its a good idea!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:42 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

In reply to siber Express. Does that mean if I get cheap steel rim that my tpms light on the dash board will be stuck on all the time?
thanks.
well worth it. especially if you live somewhere where you get snow constantly its a good idea!
Yep, you know that quite well, right Jaimie?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:56 PM

While I am a fan of winter tires, especially on RWD cars, I am not at all convinced that winter tires are necessary for any FWD car unless steep terrain is involved, and even then I am not convinced that they are an absolute necessity. Were it that I judged all All-Season tires by the crap Goodyear Eagle RS-As, then yes, I would recommend winter tires with no qualifications, however, I put 205/50 R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my new Mazda3 i Touring, and those tires are more than capable of dealing with snow that is deep enough to turn my front bumper into a snow plow.

In the last week and a half, our hilly and winding New Hampshire roads have been covered with:
[ul][*]Athree inch snow fall[*]A sleet storm that froze as it hit the ground[*]An ice storm that dropped enough tree limbs and power lines that we were without power for nearly eight full days[*]A ten inch snow fall (with another ten inches forecast for tomorrow)[/ul]
During each of the above weather events, I drove either two and/or from work or my son to a local ski resort, or, said another way, I drove at least 35 miles during each event. Through it all, the Pilot Sports performed admirably and allowed me to navigate the Mazda3 as well as any other car or AWD vehicle on the road. Long story short, with a good set of All-Season tires, the need for winter tires is greatly diminished, especially if really steep grades are not involved in day-to-day driving.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 PM

I just put the Dunlop Wintersports back on my wife's car today (received 12" of snow in the last couple of days) They aren't noisy at all and offer incredible traction.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: VB

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

thanks.
well worth it. especially if you live somewhere where you get snow constantly its a good idea!
Yep, you know that quite well, right Jaimie?
MY CAR WAS NOT MOVING WHEN I WAS INVOLVED IN THE COLLISION, the rental car, well no snow tires. so get them aha

Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 PM

I have to disagree with you there. I used to run with fairly new all seasons on all my cars. The 3 was the first time I purchased new winter tires. (new car, what the hell, save on my normal tires)

Anyway.

I found my Blizzak ice tires to my Toyo's like night and day. I drive with confidence (legal) in the snow and ice. I only have two worries driving on the highway with them.

1) The "all seasons" beside me....
2) The "all seasons" behind me......

The guy in front. No damn worries there.
[8D]

BTW: Canadian, nuff said. Eh!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 PM

YAY. chris is back. enjoy yesterday, ohh and tomorrow lol

Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 AM

Please understand that not all All-Season tires are created equal. The Goodyear Eagle RS-As that came on my car (and apparently the Toyos that came on your car) were absolutely scary in the snow, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires that I replaced them with have very nearly the snow grip of the Michelin X-Ice tires that I put on the Toyota Corolla owned by my Mother-In-Law (in spite of the fact that the tires on my car are both wider and have a much lower profile). Until you have tried a good set of all-season tires in the snow, it is very difficult to appreciate just how wonderfully competent all-season tires can be.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:01 AM

But if you live in Canada man, you gotta have snow tires, well don't have to but should. due to we get a hell of a lot more snow than you guys do. Consider the fact that now Quebec has a mandatory rule that states that all vehicles must have winter tires. what does that tell you. If you live in Texas, Tennessee, then you dont need snow tires all seasons do work well for that type of area. but up north it is a must to have. Let me tell you once i changed my tires from the Toyo Proxes to the Hercules Avalanche snow tires, there is a huge difference, plus where I live and the amount of driving i do to and from work, it is needed. But its not like you put snow tires on and your basically never going to crash. With snow tires *or even all seasons* you gotta watch the road, because snow tires or not you may end up smashing your car by making a wrong decision while your driving. I have found one pair of all seasons that i would find comfortable driving in the snow. but even then, its the best 600 anyone could spend *prices vary from what your looking for*. just my .02

Quick Reply: Wow. I think I need snow tires on my Mazda 3!