Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Wow. I think I need snow tires on my Mazda 3!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:15 AM
VB
Default RE: Wow. I think I need snow tires on my Mazda 3!

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

But its not like you put snow tires on and your basically never going to crash. With snow tires *or even all seasons* you gotta watch the road, because snow tires or not you may end up smashing your car by making a wrong decision while your driving.
Do I even need to add a smartass remark here? This is writing itself.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Vince, Vince, Vince. I know what you"re thinking.... Be nice.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Getting just a bit off-topic here:
I"m surprised you are still online, Dale. From the news/weather reports we are getting here, it seems that all of New Hampster is under a winter weather watch, and power outages are everywhere. They say some have been w/o any power for up to 8 days!! (Brrrrr!!!) Even if you have an oil or gas fired burner, like many in that part of the country, you still need AC to powerup the burner. I could live w/o lights and a computer or TV, but no heat!! Not a chance.
How have you managed to escape?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Not that I've lost power, or even live where it's super-uber cold but I soooo miss my old house with fireplace. Plus splitting wood is great exercise and stress relief. The last couple of years we would just knock the temp. down to 60ish and burn the fire through the day.

Back on topic It's safe to say that regardless of what you buy you still have to drive within the limits of both your tires and the elements. While some A/S will perform well in snow (or at least not badly) snow/winter tires will perform better. Just like chains will perform better in super-harsh conditions than snow tires will. Sadly driving in bad weather with the RS-A's entails not driving. lol

Old 12-21-2008, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: VB

But its not like you put snow tires on and your basically never going to crash. With snow tires *or even all seasons* you gotta watch the road, because snow tires or not you may end up smashing your car by making a wrong decision while your driving.
Do I even need to add a smartass remark here? This is writing itself.
its true. i even put that there with my own actions. unfortunately because i didnt have snow tires, which is why i totalled t he rental car.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM

ok it sounds like snowtires are in order. MazdaChris mentioned toyos vs Blizzaks. Are you saying Blizzaks are best? Or what are the best tires under $160 a piece.? Thanks

Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM

But if you live in Canada man, you gotta have snow tires, well don't have to but should. due to we get a hell of a lot more snow than you guys do. Consider the fact that now Quebec has a mandatory rule that states that all vehicles must have winter tires. what does that tell you. If you live in Texas, Tennessee, then you dont need snow tires all seasons do work well for that type of area. but up north it is a must to have. Let me tell you once i changed my tires from the Toyo Proxes to the Hercules Avalanche snow tires, there is a huge difference, plus where I live and the amount of driving i do to and from work, it is needed. But its not like you put snow tires on and your basically never going to crash. With snow tires *or even all seasons* you gotta watch the road, because snow tires or not you may end up smashing your car by making a wrong decision while your driving. I have found one pair of all seasons that i would find comfortable driving in the snow. but even then, its the best 600 anyone could spend *prices vary from what your looking for*. just my .02
Hmmm, I just did a little internet research and found that, on average, the greater Toronto area gets about half of the snow and ice we get here in southern New Hampshire. That and it is MUCH-MUCH hillier around here than pretty much anywhere in the Toronto area, so I think I have a pretty fair idea of what driving in snow means, regardless of whether the car is shod with summer rubber, all-season tires, or winter tires.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Getting just a bit off-topic here:
I"m surprised you are still online, Dale. From the news/weather reports we are getting here, it seems that all of New Hampster is under a winter weather watch, and power outages are everywhere. They say some have been w/o any power for up to 8 days!! (Brrrrr!!!) Even if you have an oil or gas fired burner, like many in that part of the country, you still need AC to powerup the burner. I could live w/o lights and a computer or TV, but no heat!! Not a chance.
How have you managed to escape?
We got power back Friday afternoon, and that means nearly eight days with no power, cable or internet access from the street. That said, I bought a generator years ago to power the house during events just like this. Prior to the power going out last week, my generator had roughly 75 hours of use (which included a half of an our "exercise" run every other month). During this power outage event I put just over 182 hours on the generator.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 PM

True enough about the "Greater Toronto Area". Too much smog to get any serious snow.

However, we (James & I) live in the "Golden Triangle". We don't gettoo much snow here either. Just lately. And, we (meaning them )somtimes forget how to drive when we do get it.

A few kilometres north of here is a total whacked out different story. Lots of snow all of the time. (Snow belt)

Last year was the execption, of course. Snow banks 6 feet high. Broken shovels and sore backs.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: mazdachris

True enough about the "Greater Toronto Area". Too much smog to get any serious snow.

However, we (James & I) live in the "Golden Triangle". We don't gettoo much snow here either. Just lately. And, we (meaning them )somtimes forget how to drive when we do get it.

A few kilometres north of here is a total whacked out different story. Lots of snow all of the time. (Snow belt)

Last year was the execption, of course. Snow banks 6 feet high. Broken shovels and sore backs.
got 3 cars outta the ditch since the time of when it snows. its unreal. and right now the snowbanks are like 4 ft high. up north (muskoka, thunder bay, etc.) ITS BAAD you would want snow tires or you will die

Quick Reply: Wow. I think I need snow tires on my Mazda 3!