Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Wrong ATF in Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Exclamation Wrong ATF in Mazda 3

Hello!
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with the 2.0L engine and an automatic transmission. I recently noticed a chirping sound when shifting from 3rd to 4th. It was also slighting hesitant when shifting occasionally in all gears. I checked the fluid, and it appeared a bit milky to me. I took it to a local shop, and they recommended replacing the oil cooler/heat exchanger. I had them do that, and after they returned it to me, I got some major shifting issues and random revving while shifting. The car threw codes P0842 and P0780. The fluid seems to be overfull and also appears red. The receipt from the shop shows "ATF-F" on the charge code for the ATF. I'm thinking they added the wrong fluid after flushing the transmission.

I am going to get the right fluid in there in the right amount and see what happens, but I wanted to see if anyone has had an experience like this and what the outcome was. I want to avoid replacing the transmission. Does anyone have experience with red ATF damaging a skyactive transaxle? Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2023, 05:08 PM

Sooooo color does not matter it is aRED DYE.
I currently use Castrol automatic transmission fluid in my 2018 and it RED instead of the MAZDA FZ Transmission which is I guess you would call the color "blueish to slightly skygreyish " ?

When you said flushing how exactly did they did that service or was it a simple pan and filter service? A full service properly done using a Transmission service machine generally runs about 1 hour labor ( depending on your labor rate in your state $75-150) plus 10-13 quarts of transmission fluid. Whereas a pan service is a filter and 5-7 quarts depending because of the state of fluid left and that they replaced your heat exchanger(cooler)

As for you service receipt saying ATF-F that may have been a type error from whomever completed the service order. You would need to ask the shop that did the work exactly what fluid they used for your MAZFA. You may also tell them not only your concern for the correct fluid but also the shifting issues since the service was done.

Last edited by Callisto; 02-19-2023 at 01:29 PM. Reason: coolant reference by mistake
Old 02-18-2023, 05:08 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-19-2023, 10:57 AM

Callisto,
Thanks for replying!
The receipt says "flush system" and they billed me for 10 qt of fluid (It says "B42 ATF-F" in the fluid desc). I will ask what exactly was done, but thanks for letting me know there are compatible fluids out there that are red. Hopefully I can find a solution.
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2023, 12:06 PM

Ok also need to know how they did the flushing service?
Did they use a Transmission flushing machine ?
Did they reverse flush?
Did they change the pan filter?
Technically speaking on a short term use most all ATF transmission fluid will not harm anything in the transmission. Contrary to assumption the internal components and operation in almost all automatic transmissions are for general purpose all basically the make up of the same material. The primary purpose of ATF fluid is cleaning and lubrication.

The important thing is how they did the flushing? This service if done without consideration to such things as milage on the transmission, condition by way of visual inspections what is on the magnet and settled in the pan, the general operation of the transmission prior to the "flushing" can dramatically effect how the transmission operates after the service!

I am not implying in any way that it was done incorrectly but there is not enough exact information to make any assumptions or guesses as to why your transmission is operating in the way you described after the service.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:57 AM

Just to follow up on the service provided, what are your thought around what the dealer does.
The dealer says that SkyActive transmission fluid is lifetime but offers to flush it for a fee. Is the flush performed by the dealer worth the money since they just use the radiator lines to push chemicals in then clean oil they wont drop the pan or change the filter. Is that a good thing for the transmission or would the chemicals introduce more problems. Would it be safer just to drain the pan and add the 3.5 Quarts few times a year.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by raykav
Just to follow up on the service provided, what are your thought around what the dealer does.
The dealer says that SkyActive transmission fluid is lifetime but offers to flush it for a fee. Is the flush performed by the dealer worth the money since they just use the radiator lines to push chemicals in then clean oil they wont drop the pan or change the filter. Is that a good thing for the transmission or would the chemicals introduce more problems. Would it be safer just to drain the pan and add the 3.5 Quarts few times a year.
Dealerships are still an independent business and as such they can offer any service above what MADZA or other auto manufacture dealerships recommends. This is often misunderstood by 90% of members on forums.
The LIFETIME none SRVICE transmission seems to be based around the auto manufactures warranty and not real-world operations. All automatic transmission needs basic fluid services and if applicable filter changes on a regular basis to keep the transmission in the best operating condition. This has empirically been seen with hundreds of oil analysis that has shown issues starting early on and some directly caused by not doing fluid/filter services.

Ok so you are wording and service procedures wrong!
Not sure where in the world you read how a transmission full service is done but what you posted in very inaccurate
The person who told you how it was done either simplified the service or does not know how the proper service is done?

YES, it would be better if you want to keep your transmission in better operating heath to change the fluid and filter at regular intervals for the period you own the vehicle.
If I perform a health inspection on a customer's vehicle and it has over 100k miles with no history of any transmission work, I also recommend a basic Pan fluid and filter service. If I see something of question in the transmission pan or valvebody I may recommend a full transmission service which is a complete fluid replacement. On most transmissions it is by way of an adapter for the exact transmission type. IT is NEVER reversed, or the term FLUSHED. The fluid goes through the transmission in exactly the same direction as the normal fluid flow. If any cleaners are used, they are SAFE and even if a small amount is left in a transmission will not harm any operation or component in the transmission.

As for customers if under recommendation prior a full transmission service we have sent sample of their oil in and had it analyzed. In those cases, all strongly showed the overdue of fluid servicing and they were on vehicles having Lifetime no service required automatic transmissions. I often see posted videos from members about the pan filter and oil service where in the video they say the fluid did not look bad and even the pan and pan magnet were nt that bad and yet they neglected to even consider wiping the valve body to see if any varnish had started to form? That varnish is what causes long term problems with servos, ***** and valves in a transmission leading to problem like not shifting properly TCM failing, and engine and transmission operating temperatures raising above normal. Some engine temperature issues are often misdiagnosed as thermostat or water pump not even considering it is the transmission heating up the engine and coolant causing the engine heating issues.

ASE

You can visit my thread and see not only the several times I have done the simple basic pan filter and fluid change but also a few Oils analysis done.

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Last edited by Callisto; 02-24-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:58 PM

I appreciate your feedback.
My description of the service came straight from my service advisor at the dealership. He said he needs to talk to the technician for cost if I wanted to drop the pan and change the filter because that is not their normal process. It may be inaccurate but that is what I was told.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by raykav
I appreciate your feedback.
My description of the service came straight from my service advisor at the dealership. He said he needs to talk to the technician for cost if I wanted to drop the pan and change the filter because that is not their normal process. It may be inaccurate but that is what I was told.
HA! I understand, service advisors generally are not mechanic's and rarely a Mazda Certified Technician most are more salesman.... lol

I would recommend that you at least get a pan filter and fluid service done if not by MAZDA then an independent Transmission or an ASE listed service shop. The service WILL NOT VOID any MAZDA warranty even if you use none MAZDA transmission fluid so long as it is listed to be compatible. As I said I use and recommend CASTROL.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:31 PM

The reason I started my transmission quest is because when my Mazda 3 is cold I can definitely feel the gears changing with a small kick once it gets hot it stops. I have 92K miles on it majority highway miles. It started few days ago, will open here up this weekend and check the oil stick then perform the services recommended.

Quick Reply: Wrong ATF in Mazda 3