Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

2008 Mazda 5 sport diesel - engine oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Default 2008 Mazda 5 sport diesel - engine oil change

Have not had any problems with this car since new.
Is it necessary to have the ECU reset after changing the engine oil and filter ?
Any advice on d.i.y.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:18 AM

It is necessary to reset the ECU after an oil change or the DPF light will come on at some point afterwards. If you Google Mazda6 DPF reset there are instructions on how to do it and I'm hoping this will work for the 5. I've a 2008 Diesel Sport as well and will be servicing it for the first time next year. Let us know if it works.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 AM

Thanks for your response but that link does not match my situation, as the car is a newer model with only 8000 miles on the clock and does not have a problem - at the moment !
Why should changing the diesel engine oil and filter before any warning light comes on cause a problem ?
Also are there any technical or practical reasons why I can not do the job myself next week.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:05 PM

When you change the engine oil you need to reset the DPF. If you don't then shortly afterwards the DPF light will come on because the ECU doesn't know the oil has been changed and will assume the engine oil is over diluted with diesel and will no longer regenerate the DPF.
There is a process for resetting the DPF on Mazda 6s by shorting some terminals in a diagnostic socket inside the fusebox and pressing the accelerator a few times, rolling a trouser leg up and dancing a jig.
Evidently, (I haven't checked) the diagnotic socket in the fusebox of the M5 is different to that on the 6, therefore I'm not sure if that method of resetting the light will work on a 5.
You can change the engine oil yourself but you will need the DPF resetting and I don't think there are many independents that will have the kit. I'm a mobile mechanic and have one of the best diagnostic kits available (Texa) and that won't do it. I also know the Snap-on kit won't do it or, as far as I know, the Bosch KTS. My supplier does do a Japanese specific kit which I'm going to try out when my service is due in February, if it doesn't have the facility then I'm afraid I'm having the oil changed at the dealer.