Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Auto Cimate Control - A/C light on all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Default Auto Cimate Control - A/C light on all the time?

I have a GT 5-spd. With the auto climate control engaged the A/C light is on all the time, regardless of outside temperature. If I manually turn off just the A/C it overrides the auto climate control as well. Is this normal? The dealer says it is, but its familiarity with this car has not inspired my confidence. The manual is unclear, but suggests that the A/C light may come on (although the compressor will not be engaged) if the outside temperature is below zero. My experience is simply that the light's always on.

Can anyone shed any (A/C) light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Old 04-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Auto Cimate Control - A/C light on all the time?

I assume the compressor stays on?Have been using manual mode not really hot yet!New owner here!Black 5 speed touring!Had a 626 many years ago !

Old 07-11-2006, 03:01 PM

As I posted earlier, here's my understanding :

The way that I use the climate control is the following:
Press auto. The Ac is turning on but you can press it back to turn it off. Then set the temp you want. The fan will adjust it self automatically to keep the temp that you want. In cold temperature, when you start the car, the fan will be slow for a few minute but as soon as the engine will be hot enough, the speed of the fan will increase automaticaly. Then, when the temp will be like you asked, the fan will slow itself. You then can try too raise the temp wanted and you will see the fan speeding accordingly. If you select the defrost direction, the fan will increase even if you are the selected temp. But when you return to face and feet for example, the fan will adjust itself alone. This set up will be good until you adjust the speed of the fan manualy. Still to have it back in auto mode, push auto and AC to shut the AC off.

In short, even if Auto is not displayed, by adjusting the temp the fan will ajust itself, unless you adjust it manually...

It's a bit hard too explain in text and in english since I'm french speaking but I hope that it can help!

Old 08-18-2006, 12:28 AM

I opted out of the Climate Control b/c I had one in my 3000GT VR4 and experience the same thing you are talking about. Also, this car has no rear vents, and even in the VR4 the temp differential between front and back would keep the CC running till it was too cold in front or too hot in back or any combo thereof. They just tick me off. I travel for biz from time to time and have had Caddys/lincolns with similar issues.

I think it's a poor design when a car this big has no rear/mid vents.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:25 PM

The A/C light will remain on all of the time if it is on. If you select a temperature below the ambient temperature the blowers will increase in speed and decrease in speed as the temperatures balance.
If you want the A/C light to go off press the off button

Old 09-26-2006, 03:08 AM

I think the question is at which times is the ac compressor clutch activated.
Only way to find this out is to monitor the voltage at the ac clutch. Car is
still too new to experiment.

By climate control, it must be like a sophisticated system trying to simulate
what human beings do. i.e. when it is cooler outside, to use the outside air
to cool the inside.. and to use the AC if the rate of temp. change needed is high.

I experimented closing the intake air with the button for closed circulation.
It was a cold morning and the windows fogged up quickly. Then I set it up
back to the button that allows outside air in. The windows quickly cleared
up. Much quicker than if I had simply opened the windows. Which means the AC
must have been turned on, to defog the windows.

Anyway mazda missed to put a 'current room' temperature reading.
The temperature displayed is the 'requested' temperature. So one
will not know if the desired temperature has been reached or not.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:48 PM

My understanding of the automatic climate control is that the temperature is set by the occupants by adjusting the **** to hotter or colder. The temp is visible on the right side of the display. When you set the climate control to auto, the system will go to that temp and stay there. When the ambient temp is higher than the set temp, the fan increases until it reaches the set temp. Then it slows back down. I've seen it done. Even though the a/c is on, you can regulate the temp to be warm. If you set the temp at one setting, that's where the automatic part of the system comes in. So, there must be a sensor inside the cabin to regulate the temp.

Just my $.02.

Jim.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 AM

You all have done a great job explaining this system. I have something to add.
I don't know the proper terminology, so greesemonkeys don't laugh. There is a small heat exchanger that I think the air always passes through. If the temp is set above AMB, then the CC(climate control)system will start letting engine coolant pass through the heat exchanger. The larger the differential, the larger the amount of coolant is allowed to pass through and the hotter the air gets.
One funny thing that happens is that when you turn the CC off, the amount of fluid flow doesn't change. If I set the CC to its hottest with fresh air then turnthe fanoff,I will continue to feel hot air even after long periods to allow for cooling. To fix this I turn the CC on to the coldest and back off again. Then a small amount of cool air will leak through. Oh, I should say it's colder outside then in the car.

Hope I didn't just confuse everyone.