Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Battery problem in 2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Angry Battery problem in 2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring

I have a 2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring, just over a year old now. We've put almost 25k miles on it, doesn't help that we had to move cross country. I've got a battery drain problem. Took it in because when we jump started it, the room fuse blew, and whenever we'd try to install a new fuse, it would blow too. The dealership here said it was a problem with the DVD player that was installed for us at purchase by Rudolph Mazda in El Paso, TX. Well, after a five hundred dollar bill and having the DVD player disconnected, the problem was supposed to be rectified. I didn't have any errands to run for the last couple of days, but when I went to go to the grocery store yesterday afternoon, once again, dead battery. Car is back at the Dealer now, but they called to say they don't see a problem. They are going to let it sit in their lot over the weekend and try to start it on Monday. They asked if my car charger for my cell phone was plugged in. It wasn't, but even if it were, shouldn't there be some kind of protection to keep it from drawing current while the engine is off? I have left my cell phone plugged in before and I know that it doesn't continue charging while the motor is off. Anyone else experiencing issues like this with a new Mazda? I want the problem fixed under warranty, but am worried that once again the Dealership will try to blame something else for the problem and leave me footing the bill.

We've also had issues with the passenger airbag light coming on to warn us that the airbag is not functioning, and our liftgate wouldn't open. It turned out that there was a small piece of metal stuck in there, it looked like a clip to hold wires in place.

I also have had to replace all four tires, they were wearing really unevenly and showing cords. Yes, I did have them rotated and I have had the car aligned. So far, not a happy camper with my new Mazda5.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Default No issues with our '12 Mazda 5 GT

My wife and I have had our '12 for about a year and half with ~21k miles. Haven't had any issues at all.

I'd be very suspicious of any shorts in the wiring that was added to make the dealer installed DVD player work. After the DVD player was removed, is it still blowing fuses?

Only time I've seen anything with the passenger airbag is if my little girl sits in the front seat. She isn't heavy enough to trip the weight sensor (65 lbs) so the airbag shuts off. My son is heavier (90 lbs) and he trips the sensor so no light. Is there someone really light, or a briefcase/backpack on the passenger seat when you get the warning light? If so, that is normal vehicle operation.

Haven't had any problems with the rear liftgate on ours.

Still on OE Toyo tires. Rotated every 7.5k miles, but no alignments have been necessary. Tires have probably 1/2 of thier life left and should make it to 35-40k miles before replacement. Is it possible that your alignment shop did more harm than good? Did they give you a printout of final alignment settings. Some less reputable shops don't share the digital data because they didn't really get the alignment done right.

Good luck, and hope your problems get solved quickly. We love our Mazda 5 and its better performance and mileage than our old Odyssey. There are probably only a handful of times that I miss the larger size of the Odyssey.

Matt