Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Best hop-up mods for the 2.5L?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Default Best hop-up mods for the 2.5L?

I have a new 2012 Mazda5 GT with the 157-hp 2.5L engine and the 5-speed automatic. Acceleration is "leisurely." I knew this going in, but had a need for carrying six people economically.

So, what are the mods that give the most performance gains for the 2.5L (I'm assuming all the Mazda 2.5L engines are basically the same)?

Intake: does K&N have an application for the 2.5?

Exhaust: who makes the best-performing exhaust in this category?

EMS chip: does anyone make a performance engine management system chip for the Mazda 2.5?

Other engine mods???................I'd LOVE to have a turbo but that just ain't happening!

Thanks guys.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:44 AM

hi john . i was thinking the same thing . we had my 2012 5 on the rack at my mazda dealer my teck friend at mazda looked at the exhaust system on my 2012 5 van mazda never made the new exhaust system biger for the 2012 mazda 5 they used the same exhaust system as they used for the 2.3 motor.we lookled at each other and said that sucks for power lol . on the mazda 3 they run dual exhaust when they put the 2.5 motor in the mazda 3 hatch car i drove . it breaths way better .i drove a mazda 3 its has a lot more power and the hatch is allmost as heavy as my mazda 5 van..when i bought my mazda mx -5 mazdaspeed miata i bought the mazdaspeed sport muffler . and it realy woke that miata up .i have been reading most of the tunner books and they all say the stock exhaust systems realy kills power. i have to talk to the dealer rep. at mazda to see if putting a differnt muffler on will void my warranty .allso john i found out that the marathon gas i have been useing in my mazda5 is junk when it comes to milage and power . i talked to a lot of people that have mazdas ever time they use marahton gas there milage goes down .i could watch my gas gauge go down every time i passed some one .. sure enought i started useing BP gas and my van had more power and is getting way better gas milage .on the K&N air cleanner i am going up to summit racing store and see what they have for my van in air cleanners and filters .i have to find a mazda tunner web site. this web site is for stock mazdas 5 vans only . i want to see what the tunner guys are up to now adays . let me know john if you find a good ehaust for your mazda5 van spencerfvee....
Originally Posted by johnnieboy
I have a new 2012 Mazda5 GT with the 157-hp 2.5L engine and the 5-speed automatic. Acceleration is "leisurely." I knew this going in, but had a need for carrying six people economically.

So, what are the mods that give the most performance gains for the 2.5L (I'm assuming all the Mazda 2.5L engines are basically the same)?

Intake: does K&N have an application for the 2.5?

Exhaust: who makes the best-performing exhaust in this category?

EMS chip: does anyone make a performance engine management system chip for the Mazda 2.5?

Other engine mods???................I'd LOVE to have a turbo but that just ain't happening!

Thanks guys.