Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

this is bull****. enough is enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 AM
VB
Default RE: this is bull****. enough is enough

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I agree with both of your statements... and some good info/debate there STT!!

Welcome aboard SilverArrow!

But I have to agree also that GW has really pissed off a bunch of the OPEC execs over there (not to mention, over here,) he is NOT seen as a friend or ally, but as the cocky, spoiled and stupid SOB that he is.

None-the-less, we have gotten off easy for a all these years. We like to drive our big, gas guzzling SUV's and trucks (not me of course,) w/o regard to whatever else is happening in the world. We are like spoiled little brats, and now we are complaining 'cause we have to give up our "way-of-life," or at least are being forced to change it little. I had been waiting for this for some time now. I felt it was coming ~30yrs ago.

I think that humans are all ready too late to "save the planet" and that Americans are largely responsible for that.
If humans, especially the greedy ones that have the power, were interested in long term solutions, they would've been SERIOUSLY looking into them 30yrs ago... that's when all this enviromental movement stuff really started coming to lite. Instead, we've only gotten lip-serviced... a.k.a. a blow-job. I was 13-15 and in Jr. HS, and we knew it then...

The Oil Embargo of '73 wasn't the lesson it should've been.

The most frustrating point, imo, is that the ***** had the technology to build engines capable of 75+MPG, yet we still make automobiles that get under ten (BURN THE H2 AND THE ONE WHO INTRODUCED IT TO THE MARKET).

I know I'm not exactly in the best position to speak like this since I opted for the larger engine in my car that gets 18MPG, but this is past the point of lunacy. If it were possible to implement a system to take gas-guzzlers off the roads and replace them with much more efficient cars overnight, I'd sign up for a Fit in a heartbeat.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Go VB!! I've been saying that for years. But we can't take away an American's right to chose. Never mind that it's selfish and inhuman, it would be "Un-American."

I used to worry about mileage,pollutionand so forth, and to an extent I still do, butafter years of "The Boys Upstairs" (a.k.a. the good ole boys network in Washington)killing everything for the sake of power and greed, and being extremely short-sighted about nearly everything,Itry not to think aboutit too much anymore.

I drive a Mazda 4-cyl, as most of my cars over the last 35yrs have been 4-cyls, and I drive it fairly hard for the fun of it. I still manage to get 25-28mpg on a regular basis. The way I see it, the fuel I've saved over those 35 yrs has been easily usurped by just one Hummer H1 (or H2, for that matter) being allowed to be sold to the public and used on the streets so that someone can make up for his/her other inadequacies.

Add to that the Excursions, the Suburbans,the Escalades, the Dodge 2500-3500'sand does it all really matter?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 AM

Blimey, if you think that mainland Europe has it touch, take a look at the UK.

Apart from fuel prices way steeper than Europe, we also have a speed camera every 400 yards and congestion charging to pay for the privilege of even being on the road.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: Terry1100
Apart from fuel prices way steeper than Europe, we also have a speed camera every 400 yards and congestion charging to pay for the privilege of even being on the road.
I remember James May talking about that on Top Gear....Ken Livingston, right?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 AM

Yup, - and we pay more for our cars in the first place.

I think we pay in pounds what you pay in dollars for a car - let's take the 5 (as it's available in both places) and ignore the spec differences - what's the ball park price in USD

Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM

Before taxes, a Mazda5 is anywhere from 17-25,000 USD

Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 AM

There you go - my not particularly high spec (1.8 TS2) car listed "on the road" at £15,800 which is over 31,000 USD at todays prices.

Fair enough, I paid quite a bit less thanthat but still way more than your top price.

Rip off Britain again.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 PM

Paid $ 3.05 a gallon today..... down about 3 cents since Friday.....

Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM

time to start taking more online classes at my college haha... no drive, all sit and zombie-out

Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Hey I know the answer. Lets all boycott this gas station on this day and that one on that day and spread the word by email and........................just kidding

Quick Reply: this is bull****. enough is enough