Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Car t-boned, doors ripped off and no airbags deployed!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Default Car t-boned, doors ripped off and no airbags deployed!?!

My wife and daughter were in a serious accident in our beloved 2012 Mazda5. Luckily no one was on the passenger side of the car - only minor bruising.

A utility truck rammed our car at a 45-90 degree angle along the passenger side (t-boned from a slight angle). The truck pulled the sliding passenger door off the car, bent the frame, and shattered most of the glass. Naturally our Mazda5 is totaled.

My wife and I worry what would have happened if someone was on the passenger side of the Mazda5. I was surprised the sliding door slide off and that none of the front or side airbags went off. If my daughter chose to sit on the passenger side of the Mazda5, she would not be here today. Because of this, my wife will never consider a Mazda5 ever again.

Forums are famous for extremist horror stories, but I felt I should share this.

I do have to add that my wife and daughter only had minor bruising - a testimony to some of the quality and durability of the Mazda5. Other cars could have rolled or crumpled. So while many of the safety features didn't work and the cabin was easily exposed - the frame held up well!

Last edited by indyemmett; 04-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned

Lucky you weren't in a Mazda2!
Glad you're OK.
AirBags: someone has got some explaining to do!
Love to see some pics!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by indyemmett
I was surprised the sliding door slide off and that none of the front or side airbags went off. If my daughter chose to sit on the passenger side of the Mazda5, she would not be here today. Because of this, my wife will never consider a Mazda5 ever again.
This is serious matter that needs it brought to Mazdas attention, AND followed up on.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM

I contacted Mazda via email, but haven't heard back. Just as I mentioned in this thread, I told them something went wrong.

The car is being moved from the salvage yard tomorrow to the insurance salvage lot. So today we were able to see the car for the last time and empty the contents. I took more photos and will upload them maybe tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Yes im a Mazda Mechanic, no Im not defending them.

Any idea what speed the truck was going?
Try and ask Mazda what the working angle of the Side airbag sensors are.
Also invite them to view the vehicle.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks Grim for the tips.

I contacted Mazda. Mazda asked me to contact my insurance provider so they can give them a report after assessing the car. Now we wait and see I guess.

The utility truck was only going about 15 mph. But it hit the car with such force that the wrecker couldn't separate the two cars and started to get out the jaws of life. Also the frame was bent from the impact. The impact was destructive, but maybe speed was a factor in not setting off the airbags.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by indyemmett
Thanks Grim for the tips.

I contacted Mazda. Mazda asked me to contact my insurance provider so they can give them a report after assessing the car. Now we wait and see I guess.

The utility truck was only going about 15 mph. But it hit the car with such force that the wrecker couldn't separate the two cars and started to get out the jaws of life. Also the frame was bent from the impact. The impact was destructive, but maybe speed was a factor in not setting off the airbags.
FUSION!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

As grim noted above there are a number of factors which could have legitimately kept the airbags from going off. It could have been the impact speed or angle of impact. As far as the front airbags go they tend to only go off in front collisions, not side or rear. For the side airbags it's entirely possible those didn't go off because no one was sitting on that side of the car.

I hope you get some answers from Mazda, and I'm not trying to make excuses for them at all. I just want to make sure consider for a moment that the system worked exactly as it was supposed to regardless of what you think it should have done.

I'm a paramedic and have frequently gone on rear impact or rollover collisions where people were insanely furious that the airbags didn't go off and screaming about how they were going to sue everyone involved in the making of the car. The details matter.