Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Dpf Light Flashing. Oil Level up. No limp.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Default Dpf Light Flashing. Oil Level up. No limp.

Hi all.
I bought a Mazda 5 a month or so ago. I drive it around 10 miles most days, fairly fast roads around 60 but I tend to keep the revs low.
I just did around 500 miles over the last couple of days, and on my drive home with around 200 miles to go, my dpf light started flashing. I've never seen it on steady and there's no loss of power. I checked the oil this morning and the level is over 'F' although no where near 'X'.

I'm not sure what to do next. There are only a few small garages nearby and they all have their work cut out at the moment recovering tourists. The nearest Mazda dealer is 80 miles away.

I realise an oil change is an urgent requirement, but is it ok to drive it in the meantime until I can get the proper low ash stuff (will have to order online) and filters etc, or wait until a local garage can fit me in. Will Mazda just do the same but reset the light?

Is there likely to be an actual problem with the dpf, considering the car has no loss of power?

I'd really appreciate any pointers. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

When was the oil last changed? Date & miles/kms

The DPF light can flash for multiple reasons, oil condition deteriorated, oil dilution, DPF system faults, and more.

First step is a diagnostic code check.

I wouldn't keep driving it without investigation, long term/ permanent damage may occur.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:16 AM

It was serviced before I bought it (apparently) and the oil looked new. So it would've been around 2 months ago. I've done 2000 miles in it since.
I've just ordered a diagnostic reader and new oil and filter. Will be hard not driving it at all though as I'm out in the sticks.