Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Feedback -Mazda 5 2009 - 15k Miles - Brown Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Default Feedback -Mazda 5 2009 - 15k Miles - Brown Transmission Fluid

Hi,
I am new to the forum and not very knowledgeable about cars. I just went to get my oil changed and they told and showed me that the transmission fluid was really brown and should not look like that at 15k miles. He suggested to contact the dealer as the car is still under warranty. Is this normal? I scheduled an appointment with the local dealer but I can't get it there until Sat as I am going out of town for business. Should I be driving the car? I am freaked out by this, any suggestions or thoughts. I don’t drive aggressively, only had the car for 1 year, however, lots of stop and go driving.
Any feedback would be great!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM

A little late in reading/replying to your post.

I'm guessing you may have addressed the brown atf fluid issue by now.

From reading forums, it appears that the atf in these vehicles turns brown after a fairly short time. The dealership will probably just use a flush machine and change it for you. Other people might just drain the amount in the pan and add that much in - this is refreshing the fluid (actually recommended as the best way on a honda).

I personally did my own fluid change. The method works for most cars, and I followed someone instructions for a Mazda 3. In summary, you're letting the transmission pump out all the old fluid while you replace new fluid in the pan. Maybe not something everyone would do (but I can point whoever to the website and add my own details) I also replaced the fluid with Amsoil atf (one of only a few fluids that are compatible ie. Mobil 1, Redline D4, Amsoil, and Mazda M-V(M5), and maybe a couple more )

I guess these cars need regular fluid changes if you want to keep that fluid reddish/pink. I don't think there is an abnormal failure rate with these transmissions, but it does make one nervous when the fluid is brown.