Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Flashing DPF light

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM

The official guideline is a 15-20 minute run keeping above 2000 rpm to clean the filter.

I just make sure I avoid driving with less than 2000 rpm in the gear I'm in.

It makes no difference to fuel consumption

Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM

The DPF is a filter added to diesels to lower emmissions by filtering diesel particals. If the car is used for mainly urban driving, this will increase the chance of the DPF light coming on. The car needs to be driven at at least 2000 rpm for approx 15 to 20 minutes. This isn't unique to Mazda, I know of people who have experienced this on Suzuki's, VW, Skoda, Volvo and Citroen. Another way is to race the gears from time to time to blowout the filter

Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 AM

Well, I got my flashing DPF light reset by the dealer while on hols last year and had to pay £80+ for the pleasure. It had just been serviced by a non franchised person. Now after many many miles I am about to have it serviced again and driving at 2k+ rpm on the motorway when on it pops again (flashing).

My service man (certainly not a mazda dealer) has a piece of kit which will reset warning lights after a service but I'm not sure if it will work on the mazda. In any case would resetting it prevent the "engine damage" warned about or not? If it takes ages for the mazda magic machine to recalibrate the Engine Management System there may be little prospect of my guy being able to do that with a non-mazda piece of kit.

In other words what magic trick does the mazda machine perform?

I suppose I could have the oil changed at a franchisee to be certain and the excessive cost would be better than a damaged engine (I am shortly headed for Europe on a long trip)

Any advice please?

Last edited by oxter; 07-11-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Does anybody think this tip I got online for a Mazda 6 reset would

1. Work for a Mazda 5?

2. Fix the Engine Management System (reset to correct values)

Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by oxter
Does anybody think this tip I got online for a Mazda 6 reset would

1. Work for a Mazda 5?

2. Fix the Engine Management System (reset to correct values)
Oxter, what was the tip, and did it work for you?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by klc28
Oxter, what was the tip, and did it work for you?
Sorry it was here Tips and Tricks for MAZDA 6 (GH) 2.0D MZR-CD (RF-Turbo) 2007 - 09. - www.cdn.dk

It's for a Mazda 6 and my fuse box is different from this. Mechanic was reluctant to go for trial and error. Just getting the light to go out might not be enough anyway?

I got it fixed in the end at the Mazda Stealer. £61 - I must say it seems to be running better! Light was reset and regen done according to girl at desk. If it stays off for 12 months I will not be too unhappy but I still think thieving has been sanctioned by Mazda for this fault only repairable by them

Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 AM

has anyone out there heard of the dpf light flashing simply because it is a service reminder which comes on at around 13000 miles.
my main dealer will not confirm this as i suppose he wants it in to charge me.

cheers canary1

Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by CANARY1
has anyone out there heard of the dpf light flashing simply because it is a service reminder which comes on at around 13000 miles.
my main dealer will not confirm this as i suppose he wants it in to charge me.

cheers canary1
I think they come back on at a given mileage after the last reset. The only way to get it out as far as I know is to have it reset again by a Mazda Stealer. You can't keep running it with the light flashing as it will inject fuel into the system and gradually dilute the oil until it reaches the "X" on the dipstick - after that you are in danger of damaging the engine I believe.
I reluctantly paid the going rate which was £61 for a reset (bet it involves 2 minutes mechanic time hooking the scart up to the computer, then leaving it to reset) However that should be it fixed till next time - been to France and back since then and running really well - 50mpg on the m/ways! I am delighted.
I think in most cases it is just a service reminder/overdue but it's up to you Canary - I haven't heard of a successful reset by any means other than the dealership unless anyone knows different? Good luck.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Default It's 20000miles

I had the experience of a flashing DPF light. It came on at 20000 miles since it was reset at a service. Dealer had failed to reset it at the last service. I stayed with the car while it was reset - it took about 5mins. In this case there was no loss of engine power when the light was flashing.

Quick Reply: Flashing DPF light