Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Fuel economy of my new mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM

This is great, 32.9MPG, hope I can achieve that as well. I guess if you driver mostly highway with cruise most of the time, I guess it's definitely possible. Cool beans!
Originally Posted by jbcampo
I've previously reported my Mazda5 mileage. 2012 version, stick. Now approaching 5,000 miles (purchased April 2011).
Just took a trip from Boston to northern New Hampshire. Drove 60-65 most of the way. significant hills.
miles 345
gals. 10.5
mpg: 32.9

I'm very happy with that. Previously took longer trip to WasDC and got 33 on the highway. So that's my best highway mpg so far, tho I'm shooting for 35, which I think is doable if I get it to 60 mph max.

Has anyone gotten 35mpg with this car?
Has anyone noticed significantly higher mileage when you fill up sooner rather than later? For example, I filled up once in Connecticut on way to DC, just a few gals., and mileage was unbelievable 40mpg. Later for entire trip, mpg averaged 33.

Last week in city driving, filled up before going to NH, and took a few gals, avg 30mpg, when normally I get 28mpg max.
Any idea why that would happen? I am def topping it off each time, so I'm curious about these results. thanks.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM

I used to put K&N air filter in all my vehicles. Supposedly the mfg. claims that better air flow allows for more H.P. I found that the engine sounds louder to begin with after removing the stock filter, and my fuel economy actually have gone down. Also, one benefit one would think is that with K&N, you would just keep reusing it by using cleaning solution then re-oiling. Well, if you do that math, the cost of buying the cleaning solution plus the oil, plus the high cost of initial purchase of filter, it kind of washes it self out. I guess if you think of it that way, why would anyone buy K&N you say...
Originally Posted by shipo
As for the K&N (you already know what I'm going to say without reading further), absolute waste of money, a K&N won't positively influence your fuel economy one bit; scientific fact of life.