Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Fuel economy of my new mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM

So I called Mazda of Escondido today and talked to a service rep. No help. After recommending that I fill up at name brand stations (which I always do), he said I could bring it in for them to check out - - leave it there for the day. Yeah, right!

I also talked to the sales manager who basically said the same thing. Neither of them seemed alarmed about the 16-17 mpg I've been getting.

Wonder if it's worth calling another dealer...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM

It might be worth a road-trip to Mammoth Lakes, Palm Springs, Las Vegas or even Twenty-Nine Stumps for crying out loud, just to find out what the upper end is for your mileage.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

They're going to say that the sticker on the window says 17-23mpg city. So THEY'RE thinking thats normal. Most dealerships will also say its your driving habits. It sounds like your going to have to keep bugging them over and over to get your car looked at in a serious manner.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
It might be worth a road-trip to Mammoth Lakes, Palm Springs, Las Vegas or even Twenty-Nine Stumps for crying out loud, just to find out what the upper end is for your mileage.
Not sure I'm ready to spend $60 right now for that tank of gas.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by johnnieboy
Not sure I'm ready to spend $60 right now for that tank of gas.
I hear you; I had to do that not once, not twice, but three times last week. Why? I was working two different contracts; out of the house at 4:00 AM and into Boston by 4:45. Work until noon(ish), and then head north to Concord, NH where I put in another seven hours before heading back home (within a half of a mile of equidistant between the two). It looks like I'll probably be doing that schedule at least one week a month through the fall.

Between the commute mileage and the normal accumulation of "doing stuff" miles, I put nearly a thousand miles on the Mazda3 last week.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I hear you; I had to do that not once, not twice, but three times last week. Why? I was working two different contracts; out of the house at 4:00 AM and into Boston by 4:45. Work until noon(ish), and then head north to Concord, NH where I put in another seven hours before heading back home (within a half of a mile of equidistant between the two). It looks like I'll probably be doing that schedule at least one week a month through the fall.

Between the commute mileage and the normal accumulation of "doing stuff" miles, I put nearly a thousand miles on the Mazda3 last week.
As we would say when I still lived in Minnesota: "UFF DA!"
I'm sure glad it's you and not me.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Looks like folks with the 6-speed manual are getting significantly better economy than folks with the 5-speed automatic. I can't say I'm shocked by that, but I wouldn't have expected as big of a difference.

I'd very much like to swap my Kia Sedona LX for a Mazda5. Not that the Kia is bad, its actually a great van, but it has two features I don't care for: an automatic transmission and a thirsty 3.8 liter DOHC V6. Luckily I only drive the Sedona on long trips and around town only when the whole (5 person, including 2 toddlers) family needs to go somewhere together.

We took a trip from North Carolina to Kansas City and back last summer. We have an even longer road trip planned for this summer: NC to Houston, TX, to Kansas City, back to NC. That trip is going to be 3,000 miles, not counting any local driving. On the trip last year the Sedona averaged about 22 MPG overall. If the Mazda5 6-speed manual actually gets 28 MPG, assuming $4/gallon gasoline, it would save me about $125 in fuel costs. Too bad I am not likely to have the money to make the switch before the trip this summer. Perhaps before next summer's trip though.

Last edited by Landric; 05-19-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Default '12 Mazda5 GT Mileage -- Tank 2

Tank 2 is complete on our '12 Mazda5 GT. 2/3 city and 1/3 highway and netted 25.2 mpg actual (trip computer said 24.3).

Anybody have any idea why Mazda saw fit to make the "miles to empty" read zero just when the low fuel light comes on. My "miles to empty" said 13 when I filled up, yet it still had 3.1 gallons (15.9 capacity - 12.82 fillup). I find that very annoying, as if I'm not smart enough to fill up before I run out of gas. Both of my old BMW's tell you real capacity. When you hit ZERO you are out of gas and calling AAA, but at least it is a real number you can believe.

- Matt

Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mdashi
Tank 2 is complete on our '12 Mazda5 GT. 2/3 city and 1/3 highway and netted 25.2 mpg actual (trip computer said 24.3).

Anybody have any idea why Mazda saw fit to make the "miles to empty" read zero just when the low fuel light comes on. My "miles to empty" said 13 when I filled up, yet it still had 3.1 gallons (15.9 capacity - 12.82 fillup). I find that very annoying, as if I'm not smart enough to fill up before I run out of gas. Both of my old BMW's tell you real capacity. When you hit ZERO you are out of gas and calling AAA, but at least it is a real number you can believe.

- Matt
I've had two BMWs (and any number of other cars) with trip computers, and every one of them has indicated zero miles to empty when there was at least two gallons of fuel left in the tank; Mazda is no different.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Default Mazda5 2012 mileage report

Originally Posted by mdashi

- Matt
Think this was my third tank on new Mazda5, stick. mostly city. 23 mpg, which is lowest I've gotten so far. Had gotten 25 and 27 on previous fill ups, so I guess I had a heavier foot.

I don't have the GT version, so no computer countdown. I did run it down till the Low Gas light comes on. That comes on with one bar left showing on the fuel tank. I filled up right away and took 13.3 miles on a 15.9 cap, so I still had about 2.5 gallons left when that light comes on. That's what I wanted to know.

Quick Reply: Fuel economy of my new mazda5