Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

HVAC Controls Lighted???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Default HVAC Controls Lighted???

I am new to the mazda family, and just purchased a 2009 Mazda5 Touring.
I am enjoying it alot.
However, I was surprised the first time that I drove it at night that the 3 round dials are not backlit.
I live in the country, so the streets are generally not lit.
Not only can one not see the *****, but I can't see what the function for each **** is. So I am finding I have to flip on one of the interior lights to see what it is I need to change.

This doesn't seem right to me...so my question is, are the HVAC controls supposed to be back lit, or, do I perhaps have burnt out bulbs?

BTW - the rest of the lighting on the dash is perfect and bright at night.

Thank You.
Dom

Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dgcam55
I am new to the mazda family, and just purchased a 2009 Mazda5 Touring.
I am enjoying it alot.
However, I was surprised the first time that I drove it at night that the 3 round dials are not backlit.
I live in the country, so the streets are generally not lit.
Not only can one not see the *****, but I can't see what the function for each **** is. So I am finding I have to flip on one of the interior lights to see what it is I need to change.

This doesn't seem right to me...so my question is, are the HVAC controls supposed to be back lit, or, do I perhaps have burnt out bulbs?

BTW - the rest of the lighting on the dash is perfect and bright at night.

Thank You.
Dom
While I cannot speak directly to your question, the Mazda3 and the Mazda5 share a significant percentage of parts, and my 2009 Mazda3 definitely has backlit HVAC controls.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 PM

I have a 2008 5 GT - and my dials are also lit... at least I think they are? I never really paid that much attention to them, but I am certain that if they were NOT lit, I would have noticed that for sure...

Perhaps you have a loose wire, or dead bulbs or something? Sounds odd to me though.