Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Liftgate body cracks

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Default Liftgate body cracks

After searching this form unsuccessfully for "liftgate cracks", I submit the following;

At approximately 45,000 miles I noticed two cracks in the body component that covers the liftgate hinges. These cracks were not the result of impact. The substrate material (a plastic) was cracked completely through. There was one crack over each of the hinges. Each crack was located on the outboard side of the moulding that bridges the hinge area and occurred at the transition from the horizontal plane to the downward slope that returns the profile to the main lines of the roof and liftgate. See the *jpgs attached.

I am a newbee here and hope that the photos arrive and display correctly.

I have inserted a sheet of paper in each of the cracks to emphasize their locations. I had to do this while the temperature was cool. I could not insert the paper in mid day with the temperature in the upper 80s. This makes the point that the cracks were caused by poor plastic engineering re thermal expansion and contraction plus possibly loss of plasticity.

The shop manual does not show or list the injured part seperately. The parts department at our Mazda dealer verified this by telling us that the entire liftgate would have to be replaced at a cost of upward to $2500.00. The shop manager balked at this and sought to find a way to replace only the injured part. He also told me that I was his first complaint on this problem. He appealed to higher ups in Mazda. That resulted in my taking the car to a local collision shop (the dealer is 50 miles away) for an estimate. The collision shop estimated $700.00 for the repair - if they could successfully remove and reinstall the back window.

Both I and the collision shop agreed that the back window would have to come out in order to removed the injured part. We also agreed that a repair to the part would most likely NOT permanently fix the problem. In addition to this we both agreed that Mazda is likely to have a lot more of this kind of warranty repair on their hands. The collision shop and Mazda talked by phone. The result was that Mazda called me and set up an appointment for the complete replacement of the liftgate with painting and a courtesy car for the duration of the repairs.

This post is a report to the Mazda community. I place this post and the photos that accompany it in the public domain.

Attached Thumbnails Liftgate body cracks-im003204.jpg   Liftgate body cracks-im003205.jpg   Liftgate body cracks-im003207.jpg   Liftgate body cracks-im003208.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM

Did you buy the Mazda 5 new or used. Was wondering if you have used a cycle carrier which mounts onto the tailgate.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the response. It took a while for me to respond due to sign in problems.

I bought the vehicle with 4000 miles on it from the dealer in Tennessee (south of Nashville) that used it as a loaner. There was no evidence of external equipment being installed on the liftgate. I have not placed any additional loads on the liftgate.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Default Known problem

This is a known problem. See my posting at:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ighlight=crack

Cheers! Stefan.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:58 AM

What year and model is your Mazda5? My dealer told me that the facelift from 2008 also included a change to the tailgate: he said the tailgate is now made of thicker plastic.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 PM

The Mazda 5 was from 2006. Wonder how I missed Stefan's thread when I did my general search on the internet. Generally there is mild weather here during the winters. Temperature range +20 to 100 Fahrenheit across the year. in the sun perhaps much higher temperatures are reached. I read Stefan's referenced thread. I have only tested the overtravel position of the liftgate. I placed it there only 2 or 3 times while I have owned the vehicle. Currently we are at 51,000 miles and counting without any further indications of cracking in the 'new' liftgate.