Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Many problems with 2009 Mazda 5 I'm heartbroken

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Default Many problems with 2009 Mazda 5 I'm heartbroken

I purchased a new 2009 Mazda 5 a little less than 2 years ago. I loved this car, loved how it looked and loved how it drove. I am a busy mother of two and drive everywhere. Last summer I had to replace my front tires and now my back tires are due which I felt was somewhat reasonable but costly. However, as soon as my car was only 200 miles over the factory warranty, my check engine light came on. I went to an auto zone to have a diagnostic run and they said it was showing a problem with the O2 sensor. I contacted the service department where I purchased the car (OXMOOR MAZDA in Louisville, KY) and the guy was rude and obnoxious. Told me he wouldn't even look at it for less than $100. I then called the GM Bill Willoby several times and he wouldn't even return my calls or my husband's calls. I contacted Mazda customer service as did my husband. His calls resulted in me getting an email asking if I wanted to fill out a survey of their service. I was able to get someone to email me back and help me, only that resulted in an email telling me to go ahead and get them to find out what the problem is and we would go from there. I didn't want to deal with OXMOOR so I took it to Neil Huffman who were not only professional, but friendly and really tried to help. I also had the power steering recall work done. Unfortunately for me the O2 sensor is needing replaced at $585~ and from reading up on this problem....other people have experienced it and had it replaced only to find it wasn't that. I don't feel I should spend this kind of money on a new car. I have never had to put money into a 2 year old car for major repairs in my life! I am highly disappointed with this car, the dealership AND the company. I will never ever ever purchase a Mazda product again and will be sure to let others know of my displeasure. My husband purchased a brand new Mazda RX-8 three days after I bought my car (we probably spent an excess of $50,000 between us in a week at this dealership and cant even get a phone call from the GM). My husband is getting rid of his car because he is fed up with how they have handled my situation. If you have a Mazda 5 be very wary. My once loved car has become a huge heartache for me and I'm sure a big waste of money!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 AM

Get real! Let's get this clear.

You have an oxygen sensor go down on you (they're a highly sensitive and almost a consumable part, it happens) which they won't replace OUT OF WARRANTY and you've worn out the tyres. The dealer you used is obviously crap, so you find one that is "not only professional, but friendly and really tried to help" You have a safety recall done, of which the Mazda 5 has had very few. You're worried in case the O2 sensor fault may not be the problem (hardly the car's fault), and you're now telling us the Mazda 5 is a waste of money and your husbands selling an otherwise perfectly great RX8.

The car's out of warranty, find a good independent to do the diagnosis and fit an O2 sensor for half that price. Put a set of tyres on and continue to use both the Mazdas, don't be so irrational.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Can probably get an o2 sensor for less than half the price stated

Old 12-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Default For you NickC

Thanks for the comments. I agree I can probably get the part somewhere else. I appreciate the encouragement to try. However I do want to comment on some of Nick C's points. First- I agree you have to expect the (TIRES- that is the correct way to spell it) will need replaced. However, I think you are totally missing my point. My car was 200 miles outside of warranty and has had two major problems. I have owned over 7 vehicles in my life and NEVER had mechanical problems at this mileage. I feel strongly that these things should NOT happen. I am also smart enough to know that sometimes you can get a lemon. That is my fear with this. My problem with Mazda isn't just the car~ it's the customer service. Yes I had a positive experience with the one dealer. However, the people I bought the car with have been total jerks. Guess what~ THEY REPRESENT THE MAZDA NAME~ so as a consumer I am apt to base my opinion of the company by the way they perform. Also~ the Mazda customer service department has been closed depsite the fact that I was calling during their posted hours. Yes, it's a MAZDA thing and at this point the MAZDA thing ain't happening for me. You have a right to your opinions and your "enthusiasm" for Mazda just as I have a right to base my OPINION that Mazda's suck on MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE CAR AND THE COMPANY- that's about as "REAL" AS IT GETS!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:46 PM

let's get this clear Smead, your distaste for Mazda and Mazda service is clearly your choice, but, don't question the spelling of other posters, in the UK, as we in the U.S. spell tires, they spell tyres, we spell color they spell colour, same pronunciation different spelling. My wife is British and she was very pissed at that remark. What is normal for you may not be normal for everybody else. please keep this in mind

Last edited by lnwlf; 12-05-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Default My bad, please give my apologies to your wife

It really isn't my intention to "****" anyone off. I am a teacher and as such I tend to correct other's spelling (even my good friends and family). Its' all in good fun. BTW my husband is also British. And when he says he's pissed, it usually means he's drunk.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Default one more thing~

I forgot to add that my husband also spells tires t-i-r-e-s.......and I did not read anywhere that NickC was British. Is it still possible he just can't spell?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

My spelling is reasonable and fortunately leagues ahead of your grammar and punctuation. I hope you're not an English teacher

I understand you are upset about having to spend a lot of money on your car and I'm sure I would be annoyed if it happened to me. However, I still don't think a faulty O2 sensor and poor service from a poor dealer is enough to rubbish a manufacturer. Although Mazda customer services was shut when you expected it to be open isn't ideal, it is just possible their workforce has been drastically reduced due to the global recession and they were doing their best. You obviously had some satisfactory contact at some point as you ended up at a dealer who did their best to deal with your faults.

I'm reasonably enthusiastic about Mazdas, but not blindly so. I've also had an RX8 which, in my opinion, is the best car I've ever owned. I repair cars for a living and Mazda, Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi are generally the makes that are the most reliable. All cars develop faults at some point in their life and if you've had 7 cars in the past that have never had a fault then you're very lucky.

As I've suggested before fix the car and enjoy it. I very much doubt it is a "lemon" and now it's out of warranty you have no reason to deal with Mazda.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM

hey smead sorry to hear about your mazda5 dilemma.. i am the proud owner of a 2007 mazda5 sport at 23,000 miles and i just passed the factory warranty by a couple of thousand miles... happy to report no troubles as of yet. from your situation it sounds more and more to me that you were sold a lemon and if i where you i would try to seek legal advice to see where you can go from there.. i wish you luck.. as far as i go i choose to work on my own cars and only use the dealer for the work that involves expensive equipment.. i.e. computer work a/c recharge- wheel alignments etc...

Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Wow, I have to say, the warranties in the US are terrible! Your warranty runs out at 20,000 miles?

Here in Canada we are good, bumper-to-bumper for 4 years 80,000 km's (About 50,000 miles)

As for your problems, Do you drive a TON? I would be surprised to see tires worn out so soon. I still have a fair bit of life on my tires (2008 5 GT) and we have about 70,000km's (~43,000 miles+/-). Do you have high high mileage?

Aside from that, I count only *1* "out of warranty" problem, the 02 sensor. Tires are never a warranty issue unless defective. 1 issue in 2 years? That's a dream come true.

As for the dealership you use, they suck. Report them to Mazda corporate or something if they are that bad. Our dealership here is fantastic.

I have a friend who bought a mid 90's Mazda MPV from them a few years ago. Older van, but in good shape. After 6 months the transmission went! They had NO warranty at all, but yet our dealership replaced the transmission for them for FREE anyways! ON A 15 YEAR OLD VAN!! So you can't say an entire brand is bad due to one bad dealership. Our dealership tells me the exact opposite. I suspect Mazda as a whole falls somewhere in the middle.

I am also shocked that your husband would sell both vehicles and take a HUGE loss. That loss is more than recovered by just paying for the $600 repair if you have to. I am always in shock at how CHEAP used cars are in the US. Vehicles here in Canada seem to depreciate WAY less.

(Just to compare, I could get about $17,000 for my 2008 Mazda 5 that I paid $26,000 for 2 1/2 years ago).

PS: Mrs Teacher, if that is your real profession, have you ever heard of a paragraph? I got completely lost in your original post. Looking for my GPS to get me outta there!

PPS: God, I hope I don't have any spelling mistakes...

Quick Reply: Many problems with 2009 Mazda 5 I'm heartbroken