Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

mazda 5 diesel check your oil level

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Default mazda 5 diesel check your oil level

does anyone have a 5 diesel after only 6000 miles . the car started to run a bit rough spluttering i phoned my dealer to ask them to take a look . i spoke to the service department who put me on to a technician who asked me to check my oil. after checking this it was at the x mark on the dip stick which says change oil when its at this level . which makes me wonder why is there suddenly double the normal amount of oil . it was explained to me to meet the new emisions the engine injects deisel in to the oil if you only do short jorneys the car can not burn the extra oil which means the oil ends up in the cat if this goes unnoticed it can damage the cat and your engine .you have to have a oil and filter change about every 5 to 6000 miles the reason i bought the diesel was to try and save some money on running costs to some it up if this was explained when i bought the car i would have bough the petrol model .mazda in my opinion have sold me a product with a few problems i.e steering rack, paint that is so thin the car looks 5 years old all ready, rear tire wear, problems they do not have a fix for and are not very helpfull in trying to solve them.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Default RE: mazda 5 diesel check your oil level

Hi,
read your post with interest, I am not an expert on Mazda/Ford diesels, but I have been a diesel engineer for quite a few years, working on rather larger units. The problem of increased oil levels is by no means unusual, we refer to it as "making oil" however the technical term is "fuel dilution". It can occur for many reasons, often through a faulty injector, but also from short cold runs. The engine does not burn off all of the fuel injected and some of this escapes passed the piston rings and into the sump, you may also find that some water from combustion (also owing to short cold runs) has also found its way into the oil adding to the level. The prime concerns are: the oil when diluted by fuel loses lubicating properties especially when hot and, overfilling of the sump which can lead to damaged seals and in the case of modern small diesels, who knows what else!
Oil changes are expensive at the dealer, but with a liitle time and a small outlay of cash you can do them yourself when the oil level is too high and save some money. With the correct equipment it is not messy and can be achieved in under 30 mins with no training or expertise necessary. If you are that way inclined drop me an e mail through this forum and I will let you know what you need, where to get it from and roughly how much (I believe that advertising is frowned upon within posts). Within the time of a couple of oil changes you will have recouped your outlay.

Regards

Dave

Old 06-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi
I have got a Furano 5 Diesel, I have done about 10800miles since i got the car seven months ago and my car has been in twice
so far to get the oildrained and replaced and it is only about 3/4 of an inch below x mark again so it will be going back in again soon
luckily my dealer has done this under warranty so far will let you know outcome

Old 08-03-2007, 05:41 AM

hi to let you know 3200 miles since last oil change. and its full again. been back to dealer who told me first i did not know how to read a dipstick and i was reading the wrong side this was after 1000 miles and i noticed the oil was rising again. i checked the oil last week and its nearly to the x mark again dealer said it was a software problem and my car has the wrong dipstick.they still refuse to change the oil. they will get a surprise monday when it goes back in i will leave the car there to rot on there forcourt till every problem is put right im sick of my dealer and mmukare no help what so ever.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 AM

car been back today.dealer did change oil after a bit of moaning under warranty too . the new dipstick is a joke its shorter and the low and full marks are closer together so there is more oil in the car than it shows and they have made the x mark twice as far apart. this i think is so it gets you closer to your service than before.only problem i see is there will be bout one more litre of oil in the car by the time it does get the x mark .ill ring mmuk to ask a few questions when everyones friend comes back off holiday mr smith see what he has to say

Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm totally speechless - they've really "modified" the car by fitting a shorter dipstick??? !!! [sm=smiley23.gif] [sm=smiley25.gif]

Isn't that the opposite of thepunch-line to an old joke ?

Please keep us informed when you've spoken to Mazda UK, I'm intrigued to hear the official stance on this.

Dave.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM

Can I say this that my car had this highoil level problem befor it had the engine replacement... I am keeping a close eye on the oil level now[:@]. May be they replaced my dipstick as well

Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 PM

I think the answer to the problem is to get the engine to burn more efficiently. Diesels have a swirl chamber in the headto better mix the air/fuel mixture. They sell air tubulators ( i guess thats the correct term) that install inro your throttlebody air intake hose.It's cheap and easy to install and could cut down a little bit on crankcase contamination by mixing the air/fuel a bit better. Diesel engines run 24:1 compression so a certain percentage of everything thats in that cylinder when it fires is going to get by the rings. Thats why the oil in the crankcase looks black 10 seconds after you change it. I think fuel in the crankcase is the nature of the beast. Personally i change my oil every 3k miles so it would not be an issue.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM

update on oil . car been back in again after a 5 week wait .after getting the dipstick and the dealer saying they changed the oil . i did a 600 mile round journey when we got home we checked the oil and guess what the car had made oil .it was about 3 cm over the full mark . i phoned mmuk to speak to mr smith to see if he could try to help (as the dealer just puts it down to this is what the car does) and he does not return my calls for nearly 4 weeks . i did manage to get hold of him and he replyed with .he would phone me back on the 26th september . no phone call i had to chase him the next day . go the car booked in for the 1st october at last with the promiss the car will be sorted. on ariving at the dealers i was told i do not do the right milage for the diesel but they would check software ect .when i colleted the car i was told they have drained the excess oil again . to which i asked again. and they told me they did not change the oil last time it was in the only drained it .my consern is the oil is now so thin it may well cause damage to the engine .i have drained some oil of to get it checked out . there is no fix i was told i should have bought a petrol model .i would have bought the petrol model if i was told when i bought he car . mazda is now advising you have a oil change every 4000 miles and have the extra oil drained every 2000 miles. i may as well move my driveway to the dealers as the car will spend more time there than at home.