Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda 5 First Service - HOW MUCH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM

First service on the RX8 is only an oil change and a wipe round with an oily rag. However, Mazda will sting you the best part of £200 for a set of spark plugs on the 36000 service. The oil's cheap on them as well compared to the Super Synthetic used in the TD.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Wait until your '5' gets to the 75K service - which is the timing belt change. Had mine done this week, £689 including 'free' MOT, then when the belt was being changed they decided the timing belt tensioner wasn't going to last another 75,000 miles and recommended that was changed too, so add £147 to that, and surprise surprise, both rear shocks were leaking so it failed the MOT, £235 to rectify.
And on the way home from the garage it blew a headlamp bulb, just to completely spoil my day! (5 quid from Tesco to replace!!) Oh and I had to get a new tax disc @ £180.

The joys of motoring.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi
Wait until your '5' gets to the 75K service - which is the timing belt change. Had mine done this week, £689 including 'free' MOT, then when the belt was being changed they decided the timing belt tensioner wasn't going to last another 75,000 miles and recommended that was changed too, so add £147 to that, and surprise surprise, both rear shocks were leaking so it failed the MOT, £235 to rectify.
And on the way home from the garage it blew a headlamp bulb, just to completely spoil my day! (5 quid from Tesco to replace!!) Oh and I had to get a new tax disc @ £180.

The joys of motoring.
If I keep my 5 that long, it'll go to my trusted independent garage where the labour rate is £45 per hour.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 AM

I'll do my own

Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Thought I'd give this thread an update as things have turned out OK after much persistence and phoning around...anyway as I speak the supplying dealer are giving the 5 it's first annual service and we have managed to get the price down to £250 + we are probably going to take out the service plan meaning 10% off this service + next 2 services & first MOT for just over £400.

So the moral of the story is, phone around, complain, compare and haggle.

The service guys at RRG have been excellent so far and whilst it is close to a 90 mile round trip (had to put a fiver in the courtesy car) to get it done I think it's worth it given they have the lowest prices, they are the supplying dealer and are a MASSIVE company. All's well that ends well then but be warned the deliberation has lasted over a month...

Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 AM

Hi all, new to this website and thank god i have found it.

We have a mazda 5 furano which like the rest of you on this thread have just been hit with the astounding 1st quote of £464.05 (lets not forget the 5p hey) well you can imagin my reaction when i heard this as i knew that hubby would go Balistic at the price.

Stokedrich, you mention that you contacted Mazda Gmbh, could i ask you if you can remember the number or if this is a head office number as want to try and haggle this price down??

I asked for a break down of the charges and couldnt believe ( i know i am a woman) the amount of work that the engine needed on such a new car (2010) When we purchased this vehicle from a main dealer in essex, my husband and i had done alot of research into what car we wanted as we had a VW Tiguan before that we had had nothing but trouble with and I know that we specifically asked how much the 1st service was with the guy that sold us the car and distinctly remember him saying around £200 - £250.00!!
I also asked about whether we could go elsewhere to get the service done as my mum works in a main SAAB garage locally and the guy replied that i can be done but something about the "Mazda" computer system would not be updated and thereby jeoparising the warranty. Is this correct? Do any other garages have access to this system?

Sorry to rant on but i am unable to comprehend that a car that cost £20k + new can justify this amount for a 1st service.

I await so much needed replies to a somewhat bemused lady
many thanks for the time you spent reading this

Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 AM

sorry I no longer have the head office number, it's been a while but as per my post I would recommend calling a few Mazda dealers as I got it down to about £250 by phoning around ( a lot)! which is much more like the expected cost of the first service. Also just had a new set of front tyres, had the same Dunlop's fitted and they were well and truly worn out at 17k - will have a look to see if there is a thread on expected tyre wear. Overall very pleased so far as it really does go like stink if you want it to and is definitely the best 7 seat drivers car by a considerable margin.

Last edited by stokedrich; 04-21-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 AM

The only time I use dealer service is for warranty issues. I have taken my new cars to independent auto service chains for all required interval servicing with no problems whatsoever. I file the receipts for potential warranty questions later, which have never been needed in 30 years.