Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

mazda 5 rpm range

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Default mazda 5 rpm range

hello, I am new here and have a question. I bought my 2006 5 last august and one thing that I'm curious about is the rpm range @ 70 mph is 3000 rpm. it seems like I would get better gas mileage if it were lower. I know I could drive slower and that would lower the range but does anyone know if it could be lowered by use of any performance devices?
I was reading a little here and I have had a clacking noise in the front end and see that it is a common issue in the cold, I will need to call thedealer and speak to them. Mazda dealers here are few and far between and the guys that I have talked to in Troy seem a little jerkish on the phone so I may have to argue with them about it. anyway thanks for any info on the rpm thing.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: mazda 5 rpm range

Hey there xsdbs!! Welcome to the forum!!

There is a numerically higher 5th gear conversion available from an AM parts supplier. I'd have to find the link, but it's around $250 for the gears and lay shaft and crush washers. You'd have to do the install, or pay to have it done.
They claim a5% reduction in rpms (approx ~2800 rpms @ 70,) and a1-2 mpg increase when cruising.

I've read that some who have tried it like it, butpersonally, I don't think it's worth it. That's a lot of expense and work for a little reward. You would also lose some available torque in that gear too. (Stands to reason...)

If you're still interested, I'll be happy to try and look it up again for you. I know I saw it again just about a month ago somewhere, but it's been available for several years now. You do have anMTX, right?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM

I also find the gearing wrong. At low speeds i can drive in 3rd gear where in other cars it will be impossible to drive smoothly in 3rd at the same speed.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 AM

Hey there xsdbs!! Welcome to the forum!!

There is a numerically higher 5th gear conversion available from an AM parts supplier. I'd have to find the link, but it's around $250 for the gears and lay shaft and crush washers. You'd have to do the install, or pay to have it done.
They claim a5% reduction in rpms (approx ~2800 rpms @ 70,) and a1-2 mpg increase when cruising.

I've read that some who have tried it like it, butpersonally, I don't think it's worth it. That's a lot of expense and work for a little reward. You would also lose some available torque in that gear too. (Stands to reason...)

If you're still interested, I'll be happy to try and look it up again for you. I know I saw it again just about a month ago somewhere, but it's been available for several years now. You do have anMTX, right?

well I kinda feel a little dumb. My vehicle is a 2006mazda5 and I did not mention that ithas a4 spdautomatic trans and . Thanks for the reply and I agree that if I had a manual trans that the gear change would take a while to pay off. It seems a little strange to only have 4 gears with no overdrive, seem like the motor is screeming and begging for lower rpms. Thanks again

Old 02-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: xsdbs

well I kinda feel a little dumb. My vehicle is a 2006mazda5 and I did not mention that ithas a4 spdautomatic trans and . Thanks for the reply and I agree that if I had a manual trans that the gear change would take a while to pay off. It seems a little strange to only have 4 gears with no overdrive, seem like the motor is screaming and begging for lower rpms. Thanks again

Sorry. It wasn't my intention to make you feel dumb at all.Everyone forgets to include information at some point or another.
I would also state that the 4th gear in your trannyis probablyan OD. Most top gears these days are OD. Very few 1:1's left anymore, like in the old 3-4 sp muscle car days.
Your owners manual may list the ratios of both the tranny and the final drive. I'd have to look but think I remember reading it in mine.
I would also say that my 5-sp also tachs right around 3k @ 70mph, so chances are the combination of your 4th gear and my 5th, and final drives in both vehicles are the same... and why not? The 3 and 5 are basically the same car under the skin, that is.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM

Hello virgin1, thanks for the help, by the way you didn't make me feel dumb yourself, I did and its just ame thing.