Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

might be a stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Default might be a stupid question

Have an 07 Mazda 5, last oil change dealer said the automatic transmission fluid needed changing, don't want to pay them to do it, is there a drain plug like your oil pan?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bradman
Have an 07 Mazda 5, last oil change dealer said the automatic transmission fluid needed changing, don't want to pay them to do it, is there a drain plug like your oil pan?
Ask them to put in writing exactly why they think your Mazda5 needs a transmission fluid change. You might also refer them to your Owner's Manual that, conspicuous by its absence, makes no recommendation for a transmission fluid change, ever.

Said another way, I suspect they're trying to milk you for some unnecessary service work.

FWIW, I don't believe I've ever seen an automatic transmission with a "Drain Plug", and certainly never one on a Mazda. Typically the procedure for changing the fluid is to drop the pan below the transmission, scrape off any remaining gasket material from both the pan and the tranny, swapping the filter, putting on a new gasket and refilling the tranny after the pan is back on.

If you become absolutely convinced that a fluid change is warranted, doing it yourself isn't that big of a job if you have some wheel ramps, although it can be a bit messy for the uninitiated.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 AM

Some auto boxes have a drain plug but you usually need to take off the pan to change a filter. There's loads of oil left in the torque converter so you'll never drain it all out. I haven't checked whether there's an auto fluid change in the service manual but if there isn't, check the fluid on the dipstick is red, if it is then leave it alone. If the fluid is brown or black then that indicates it's burned and should be replaced.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:43 AM

no stupid questions, though there is the occasional inquisitive idiot.

as shipo said, there is no need to change the fluid. it's a hard concept to grasp for people like me (sounds like it's hard for you to believe also) but it is true. since the turn of the millenium (sounds weird, i know) car companies have begun to switch over to sealed gear boxes. lifetime fluid, no drain plug, some don't even have dipsticks. when i sold cars, i had customers arguing with me on that subject.

the dealership pays their technicians on commission, more than likely. our service department was on commission, including the manager. they are willing to push un-needed services to catch a few extra bucks. anything other than warranty work, i recommend anyone other than the dealership. just keep good records on maintenance for proof so there is no question on the warranty.