Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

My new 2012 Mazda5 GT...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Default My new 2012 Mazda5 GT...

I picked up this new 5 last week from Mazda of Escondido (San Diego). It's the Grand Touring model, which arrived at the dealer the day before I bought it.

Although I'm a noob here (this is my first post), this 5 happens to be the fifth new Mazda I've owned:
  • 1972 Mazda RX2 Coupe
  • 1974 Mazda RX4 Wagon
  • 1985 Mazda 626 5-Door HB
  • 2007 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • 2012 Mazda5 GT
Obviously, I'm an old guy. The 5 grabbed me because I'm newly retired ($$$ are more sacred than ever!), but still have two of four kids around: a high schooler for whom I handle car pool duties; and a college student 320 miles away without a car). I'm a daily poster on several forums, just none of them car-related.

I've always loved aftermarket goodies, and found myself adding a few to my new 5. IMHO, they transform the 5 into a more eye-catching, sporty vehicle. I refer to it as a "micro-van," avoiding the negative connotation of "mini-van" like the plague. BTW, the wheels are 18x7.5" ADR "Victory" in 48mm offset, and the tires are 225/40ZR-18 Venezia Crusade HPs. They fit perfectly.

So, here's my Mazda5 a few days after purchase. The chrome Mazdaspeed license frames arrived just yesterday by mail, so I added a few pics of those at the tail end.

Hope you like...I sure do.

Last edited by johnnieboy; 03-17-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM

Some first impressions after one week...
  • I love driving it and looking at it!
  • Although it's brand new, I'm disappointed the average fuel economy reported on the instrument panel is only 17.5 miles per U.S. gallon after 3/4 of a tank. I've been driving VERY easy, but do need to climb hills frequently. My CX-9 returned about 13.5 MPG driven fairly hard.
  • I'm as disappointed with the lack of standard homelink (garage door opening) as I was the same issue in my old CX-9 GT. You'd think something this basic would at least be standard in the highest trim level (Grand Touring). I solved the problem by Velcro-ing my black garage door opener to the left side of the steering wheel post. It actually looks very nondescript and works great.
  • There's nowhere to put my sunglasses! I've had to order one of those visor things that you clip onto the sunglasses. Tacky!
  • Although the dash has 4-5 little stow-away cubbieholes, they are made of hard plastic and a couple of them are so small you ask yourself what the hell they're there for. I'm still searching for some kind of rubberized surface I can line them with, although I hate the thought of having to glue them down.
  • The upper part of the front door trim is done in some kind of fabric. While it looks nice when new, I'm afraid my habit of resting my elbow on the upper door (just below the window) while driving will prove fatal to the fabric trim. It's wait-and-see.
  • The audio system has a "beep off" feature that is much appreciated - - except it doesn't turn off the beep when you change the volume from the steering wheel control.
For the most part, these are just minor annoyances, not unlike those you encounter with most new cars. Still...they're worth mentioning.

All in all, I love my new Mazda5.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

nice car mate - personally i prefer the look of the old model, but that a personal thing and to be honest the leather seats looks fantastic. The only thing i'd say is it needs the windows tinted.

Your fuel economy might improve as the engine loosens up. I get around 23 around town (US Gal) out of my 2lt sport although i'm guessing yours is a 2.3 and its auto.

I also had a 1985 626 HB - my 5 sport is my fourth Mazda

Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ggsumo
nice car mate - personally i prefer the look of the old model, but that a personal thing and to be honest the leather seats looks fantastic. The only thing i'd say is it needs the windows tinted.

Your fuel economy might improve as the engine loosens up. I get around 23 around town (US Gal) out of my 2lt sport although i'm guessing yours is a 2.3 and its auto.

I also had a 1985 626 HB - my 5 sport is my fourth Mazda
The '85 626 HB was one of my all-time favorite cars (out of 30 I've owned). I put 205/50HR-15s on 15x7 alloys on my red/burgundy one.

This 2012 is actually a 2.5L (89mm x 100mm) producing 157HP and 163 LB-FT. I haven't jumped on it yet so not sure how 'spunky' it is. With 3450 pounds to lug around, I'm guessing maximum acceleration is still leisurely.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM

#1. My Mazda5 '12 turns off the beep from the steering wheel volume control when the Beep setting is Off.
#2. Where did you order the chrome license plates from?

PS. Your 5 looks great!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by pinecast
#1. My Mazda5 '12 turns off the beep from the steering wheel volume control when the Beep setting is Off.
#2. Where did you order the chrome license plates from?

PS. Your 5 looks great!
Got them off eBay from Only Good Depot store:

Only Good Depot items - Get great deals on Miscellaneous, BMW items on eBay Stores!

With my audio system set for "Beep Off" the steering wheel volume control still beeps when used. Not yours?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Correct, I've got rid of the annoying volume change beeps with the setting "BEEP OFF".
Thanks for the link.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM

hi john i to have a mazda 5 GT2012 mine is blue i have had my mazda 5 for 50 days i to put wheels on my mazda 5 there mazda speed forged aluminum wheels my dealer had them and gave me a great deal on them i am running kumho ecsta tires 18s i allso put mazda speed sway bars on my mazda 5 it now handles great i love it... the wind dont blow me around now lol and i tinted all the windows i like the looks of the new mazda 5 ..i am like you... i like to be differnt and have fun with life.. is that a exhust tip or a muffler you have on your van ? i love your wheels nice job i had a 2009 mazda 5 and it got great milage 30 mpg the best i can get and thats driveing like a old man is 25 mpg the new 2.5 motor does not get the milage that my old 2.3 motor did i have 2,000 miles on my2012 mazda 5 but i dont care the power of the new 2.5 is wecome it pulls the hills much better and when you want to pass some one it does the job well again great job on your mazda 5 ... spencerfvee........................ wgh
Originally Posted by johnnieboy
I picked up this new 5 last week from Mazda of Escondido (San Diego). It's the Grand Touring model, which arrived at the dealer the day before I bought it.

Although I'm a noob here (this is my first post), this 5 happens to be the fifth new Mazda I've owned:
  • 1972 Mazda RX2 Coupe
  • 1974 Mazda RX4 Wagon
  • 1985 Mazda 626 5-Door HB
  • 2007 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • 2012 Mazda5 GT
Obviously, I'm an old guy. The 5 grabbed me because I'm newly retired ($$$ are more sacred than ever!), but still have two of four kids around: a high schooler for whom I handle car pool duties; and a college student 320 miles away without a car). I'm a daily poster on several forums, just none of them car-related.

I've always loved aftermarket goodies, and found myself adding a few to my new 5. IMHO, they transform the 5 into a more eye-catching, sporty vehicle. I refer to it as a "micro-van," avoiding the negative connotation of "mini-van" like the plague. BTW, the wheels are 18x7.5" ADR "Victory" in 48mm offset, and the tires are 225/40ZR-18 Venezia Crusade HPs. They fit perfectly.

So, here's my Mazda5 a few days after purchase. The chrome Mazdaspeed license frames arrived just yesterday by mail, so I added a few pics of those at the tail end.

Hope you like...I sure do.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by spencerfvee
.. is that a exhust tip or a muffler you have on your van ?
Just a tip - - it's a double-wall S/S.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 AM

hi john my 2012 mazda 5 came with and a compass and home link built into the mirror .check with your mazda dealer about getting one spencerfvee
Originally Posted by johnnieboy
Some first impressions after one week...
  • I love driving it and looking at it!
  • Although it's brand new, I'm disappointed the average fuel economy reported on the instrument panel is only 17.5 miles per U.S. gallon after 3/4 of a tank. I've been driving VERY easy, but do need to climb hills frequently. My CX-9 returned about 13.5 MPG driven fairly hard.
  • I'm as disappointed with the lack of standard homelink (garage door opening) as I was the same issue in my old CX-9 GT. You'd think something this basic would at least be standard in the highest trim level (Grand Touring). I solved the problem by Velcro-ing my black garage door opener to the left side of the steering wheel post. It actually looks very nondescript and works great.
  • There's nowhere to put my sunglasses! I've had to order one of those visor things that you clip onto the sunglasses. Tacky!
  • Although the dash has 4-5 little stow-away cubbieholes, they are made of hard plastic and a couple of them are so small you ask yourself what the hell they're there for. I'm still searching for some kind of rubberized surface I can line them with, although I hate the thought of having to glue them down.
  • The upper part of the front door trim is done in some kind of fabric. While it looks nice when new, I'm afraid my habit of resting my elbow on the upper door (just below the window) while driving will prove fatal to the fabric trim. It's wait-and-see.
  • The audio system has a "beep off" feature that is much appreciated - - except it doesn't turn off the beep when you change the volume from the steering wheel control.
For the most part, these are just minor annoyances, not unlike those you encounter with most new cars. Still...they're worth mentioning.

All in all, I love my new Mazda5.

Quick Reply: My new 2012 Mazda5 GT...