Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Default Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!

I picked up this beautiful and very versatile 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring from Wayne Mazda in Wayne NJ tonight and I am just loving it. Hard to describe this car, it has everything and does everything, I am speechless.

But with the new 2.5L engine, does anyone know where I can get the ECU chipped to get slightly more ponies? I am also looking to swap out the air filter to K&N and maybe a stainless steel cat-back exhaust upgrade.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 AM

congrats!

mind sharing what you paid, and what options?

I test drove a 6-sp Sport model and then a automatic Touring tonight. Close to pulling the trigger!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM

I paid high $23K, I think it was $23950 or something, almost $1000 off the sticker. They only had 3 Grand Touring left in stock, this one I got is the same exact one as the ones reviewed on RoadFly and Motor Week. I have every bells and whistles you can imagine; but the coolest feature that I wasn't expecting was BT stream capability. So cool, no more burning CD's - I just stream directly off my Sony Android phone.

In review videos, you do not get the true value/features of the car. But once you test drive it, you're like getting bitten and never wanting to go back to other cars.

Leather is another beautiful option, black leather with pin striping, amazing looking. Can't believe I got this kind of car for such low price. I was looking at Mazda Speed 3 yesterday my mouth was drooling, now I'm officially a Mazda affectianado. I was also looking at Subaru WRX as a replacement to problematic VW Beetle TDI, but I'm glad that I went with the Mazda.
Originally Posted by Nuburgringer
congrats!

mind sharing what you paid, and what options?

I test drove a 6-sp Sport model and then a automatic Touring tonight. Close to pulling the trigger!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:06 PM

Sounds like you got a good deal! It sure is a lot of car for the money. We sat in a CX7 and couldn't find anything tangible to justify the almost $10k price difference.

Did you take the 1.99% Mazda financing or get a better deal somewhere? This will be the first car I've ever financed (almost as expensive as the 308 Ferrari I paid cash for a few years ago!), so not looking forward to monthly payments :/

How does the leather feel? The local dealer didn't have any to check out. Are the seat heaters quick to warm and do they have even butt/back temperature?
Is there seat memory settings for different drivers? I like that even the base seats have height adjustment, like most cars in Europe but rarely found in US cars with manual seats.

If I can get the 6-sp 'demo' (had 9 miles when we left for the test drive) for <$19k all-in, plus a decent price for my Jeep on trade then I'll likely also have a 5 in my driveway very soon.

In a perfect world you could spec a 6-spd with the grand touring's leather seats, and also be able to get them in black with the red exterior.
Oh well, the silver/black 6-sp sport has 90% of what we want so now it's just a matter of negotiating.

Since the base model doesn't have bluetooth will get one of these:
Amazon.com: Motorola T325 Bluetooth Portable Car Speaker (Black, Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

BTW I went looking for the roadfly review, here it is:
Roadfly.com - 2012 Mazda 5 Test Drive & Car Review - YouTube

Please give us periodic 'long term' updates and pics if you have some!

cheers

Old 09-26-2011, 04:44 AM

No you do not, I agree. One of the worst review of this vehicle, if I had made my decision on another vehicle as a result of it was the "Rosenthal" review on Youtube.
Originally Posted by ingtoncreti
In review videos, you do not get the true value

Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 AM

Leather is very nice, not the soft kind like the one I have on my Odyssey Touring but it has vented holes in the center area, which is a real nice touch. Red stitching really makes it nice also. I would get one with black leather. I almost feel guilty for having all these such high quality amenities but I'll get used to it

I tried out the heated seats on the way home from the dealer, and it's just as nice as the ones I had on my New Beetle. Though not adjustable, it's still better than not having it. Also, reviewers forget to mention that the Grand Touring has the automatically speed adjusting windshield wipers, and auto volume control for the stereo. It also has elevation adjustable Xenon headlamps.

BTW, I saw the German version of the Mazda Grand Touring and finally figured out those three blanks covers are left of the driver's seat. Two of them are for the powered slide out doors, and the third, if I have to guess is for the hatch. It also has the headlamp washers and angled / fender mounted side markers. Why can't we (U.S.) get the German version... please Mazda...
Sounds like you got a good deal! It sure is a lot of car for the money. We sat in a CX7 and couldn't find anything tangible to justify the almost $10k price difference.

Did you take the 1.99% Mazda financing or get a better deal somewhere? This will be the first car I've ever financed (almost as expensive as the 308 Ferrari I paid cash for a few years ago!), so not looking forward to monthly payments :/

How does the leather feel? The local dealer didn't have any to check out. Are the seat heaters quick to warm and do they have even butt/back temperature?
Is there seat memory settings for different drivers? I like that even the base seats have height adjustment, like most cars in Europe but rarely found in US cars with manual seats.

If I can get the 6-sp 'demo' (had 9 miles when we left for the test drive) for <$19k all-in, plus a decent price for my Jeep on trade then I'll likely also have a 5 in my driveway very soon.

In a perfect world you could spec a 6-spd with the grand touring's leather seats, and also be able to get them in black with the red exterior.
Oh well, the silver/black 6-sp sport has 90% of what we want so now it's just a matter of negotiating.

Amazon.com: Motorola T325 Bluetooth Portable Car Speaker (Black, Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

cheers

Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 AM

Oh and one more, auto on headlamps. I've already installed my Yaesu HF radio in the car, and hardwired Valentine 1 radar detector. I am planning to install the rear view mirror mounted Scangauge-II to get coolant and transmission temp readings.

I will post some photos as soon as I'm able. In a few years, I might just get rid of the Odyssey and get a red MazdaSpeed3 for myself, and bribe the wife in taking the Mazda5

cheers

Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 PM

They only Problem with the New 5's are they actually look....like mini mini vans now. I prefer the look on my 2009 black grand touring lol

Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 AM

It does look like a minivan, which is the reason I am now trying to get my wife to take the 5, trade in the Odyssey next year and get me either Mazda Speed 3 or a Subaru WRX. Believe it or not, I like the MazdaSpeed3 better, and this is coming from a guy who was a diehard German car buff, only bought BMW's and VW's in the last 15 years or so. But my love for German cars faded big time with the last car, an '06 Beetle TDI - with boat load of problems, I do not care for them now. Plus, the Mazda's have grown to my likings now, so I will try to stay with this brand for a while.
Originally Posted by kipper5
They only Problem with the New 5's are they actually look....like mini mini vans now. I prefer the look on my 2009 black grand touring lol

Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Yes, i guess the main turn off on the new ones for me anyway is how they changed the tail lights.. on my 09 grand touring it has the led's mounted up high on the sides. The new ones are mounted down in the center sides of the tail gate pretty much like any other mini van style. It really took the mini van disquise away when they did that. I dout i would buy a new one just for that reason lol. And they took off the european style fender mounted turn indicators. Small item but i lked the way it gave it a german type car trait. They are still nice cars with plenty.. options for the money!

Quick Reply: Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!