Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 AM

I was just the opposite, I did not like the vertically mounted taillamp assembly. The new horizontal rear lights and front end was what did it for me deciding on getting the 5. BTW, if you google the German version of the 5, you'll see the fender mounted markers and also, it has the headlamp washers. Finally, the German version has the powered slide out doors, which the U.S. version does not get this time around. So in essence, yes, Mazda is trying to target this vehicle aimed at younger family whom does not want to deal with the expense nor the bulk of owning a regular sized mini van like Odyssey, which we have - a 2007 Odyssey Touring. But here's what made us to go with the 5 - it is super convenient in case we drop off the Odyssey for servicing or during when we need more space for extended distance trips. But around town, and quick grocery errands, the 5 is the best idea in automotive idea since the Chrysler came out and created this whole new automotive segment called the "minivan" with the Dodge Caravan in the early 80's - or when International came out with the 4x4 which Chrysler took it an came out with Cherokee.
Originally Posted by kipper5
Yes, i guess the main turn off on the new ones for me anyway is how they changed the tail lights.. on my 09 grand touring it has the led's mounted up high on the sides. The new ones are mounted down in the center sides of the tail gate pretty much like any other mini van style. It really took the mini van disquise away when they did that. I dout i would buy a new one just for that reason lol. And they took off the european style fender mounted turn indicators. Small item but i lked the way it gave it a german type car trait. They are still nice cars with plenty.. options for the money!

Last edited by dieseldriver2003; 09-28-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Here are some pictures of my new ride. I also went to test drive the MazdaSpeed 3 and although I liked the power, I thought that the 5 is more refined. If I ever trade/sell my Odyssey next year, I will probably look at the WRX instead. BTW, that antenna and head unit on the dash is my Yaesu FT-857D amateur radio. I talk to people all over the world with that setup. I also (though no picture) hard mounted my Valentine1 radar detector as well. I don't waste no time getting my toys mounted on my new Toy!

Attached Thumbnails Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!-front.jpg   Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!-back.jpg   Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!-dash.jpg   Picked up a light blue Mazda 5 Grand Touring tonight!-dash2.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 PM

Just picked up the same as Diesel (2012 gt). The wife wanted the sand color leather but no one in this area had it. Another dealer nearby had the blue with black leather which she selected. We're hesitant about the black leather against the summer sun (Wash. DC area) but some window tint should help.

I'll go ahead a rep Brown's Mazda in Chantilly. The beat my credit union financing and made the deal a good one. BTW there aren't too many Mazda 5s around to choose from. High demand?

$23078 @ 2.49% for 60 mos.

Originally Posted by dieseldriver2003
Here are some pictures of my new ride. I also went to test drive the MazdaSpeed 3 and although I liked the power, I thought that the 5 is more refined. If I ever trade/sell my Odyssey next year, I will probably look at the WRX instead. BTW, that antenna and head unit on the dash is my Yaesu FT-857D amateur radio. I talk to people all over the world with that setup. I also (though no picture) hard mounted my Valentine1 radar detector as well. I don't waste no time getting my toys mounted on my new Toy!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Hello,
Well be getting new 2013 M5 in Jan. looking at your antenna, it looks like it on the sliding door, how did you route your wiring to be out of the way? I will be installing a Icom 7000 with the Tarheel Jr, was thing of using the Diamond motor mount so I could still get in the garage. Thank you

KB9OMH

Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by kipper5
Yes, i guess the main turn off on the new ones for me anyway is how they changed the tail lights.. on my 09 grand touring it has the led's mounted up high on the sides. The new ones are mounted down in the center sides of the tail gate pretty much like any other mini van style. It really took the mini van disquise away when they did that. I dout i would buy a new one just for that reason lol. And they took off the european style fender mounted turn indicators. Small item but i lked the way it gave it a german type car trait. They are still nice cars with plenty.. options for the money!
I have a 2009 GT and love the look. When they changed the tail lights I complained to every dealer I saw. Oh well, just went out and bought a 2013 Sport so we have two 5s now.