Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Pricing on used Mazda5s in my area very cheap. Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Default Pricing on used Mazda5s in my area very cheap. Should I be concerned?

Hi folks,

First post and this is not a troll, honest!!

I recently test drove a 2013 Mazda5 CS with convenience pack at a local dealership and really liked it. However, no discounts beyond negotiating from invoice pricing which would end up being about CAD$26.5k all in.

I was looking for a 2012 model since Mazda had a $4000 cash incentive on those but none were to be found. However, there are quite a few dealerships with used 2012 models. What is concerning me is that the prices of these used models is really low. So a "new" 2012 model would have been CAD$22.5k. These cars are all in the CAD$16.5k to $17.5k range all be it with 30k KMs on (which is a bit high I grant you). So basically $5k cheaper.

This seems to be a really sharp drop for a one year old car. Looking at other models and brands, this is not the case. Is the 2012 Mazda5 just not popular in my part of Canada or is there something I should be aware of?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Depreciation. Drive it off the lot and lose 25% of value because it's not new. That's it. It's harder to sell a brand new car privately that you've had for a couple of months than to buy one directly from the dealer. This is what is in people's minds. They would rather buy a new car from a dealer than buy a slightly used one cheaper. This is just one of those weird things.
I'm not sure if i'm explaining it totally correctly, but you get the jist of it! (spellcheck on jist - not sure if it's a real word!).
To fill out things such as where you live etc: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new...-avatar-30905/

Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess what I'm saying is that the depreciation is much higher on the Mazda5 then anything else I can see.

For example, a Grand Caravan (a cheap vehicle) which retails at $22.5k including taxes seem to be going for about $18k to $18.5k around here in Edmonton. So that would be a $4k loss as opposed to a $6k one on a mazda5. So 30% loss as opposed to 20%.

I guess the core of my concern is whether there is anything wrong with the early 2012 model year of the Mazda5 which would explain these low prices or is this there just a lack of demand here for them?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned
Question

Originally Posted by ogcsmith
Thanks for the input. I guess what I'm saying is that the depreciation is much higher on the Mazda5 then anything else I can see.

For example, a Grand Caravan (a cheap vehicle) which retails at $22.5k including taxes seem to be going for about $18k to $18.5k around here in Edmonton. So that would be a $4k loss as opposed to a $6k one on a mazda5. So 30% loss as opposed to 20%.

I guess the core of my concern is whether there is anything wrong with the early 2012 model year of the Mazda5 which would explain these low prices or is this there just a lack of demand here for them?
Hopefully someone who has a Mazda 5, such as BC North will come on line later and help. Other than poor struts on earlier models, I can't think of any.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM

I currently own a 2007 Mazda 5 with over 83K miles on it. The only issues that I have done on the vehicle was replace the thermostat at 75K miles when it failed and at 82K miles replace the struts and shocks. I don't think the depreciation is that different than other vehicles with 30K miles and only one year old. I recently purchased a 2012 Ford Focus with 27K miles on it and saved over $6K over new. So as common knowledge, once you drive a new car off the lot, you lose thousands of dollars.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Banned
Exclamation

Originally Posted by slbenz
I currently own a 2007 Mazda 5 with over 83K miles on it. The only issues that I have done on the vehicle was replace the thermostat at 75K miles when it failed and at 82K miles replace the struts and shocks. I don't think the depreciation is that different than other vehicles with 30K miles and only one year old. I recently purchased a 2012 Ford Focus with 27K miles on it and saved over $6K over new. So as common knowledge, once you drive a new car off the lot, you lose thousands of dollars.
Hope they did a cooling system flush at same time.
Other maintenance items needed: change all spark plugs, with that mileage you mind as well change all the coils as well, as they may soon fail. Clean your EGR valve, PCV Valve, throttle body and MAF. Change your fan belt. Change your transmission fluid, power steering fluid and brake fluid.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Hope they did a cooling system flush at same time.
Other maintenance items needed: change all spark plugs, with that mileage you mind as well change all the coils as well, as they may soon fail. Clean your EGR valve, PCV Valve, throttle body and MAF. Change your fan belt. Change your transmission fluid, power steering fluid and brake fluid.
Actually I did all the maintenance you listed myself. Even changed the sway bar bushings which over time creak and make noise in the earlier models. Replaced the brake pads and rotors which were very easy to do. The rotors almost came off themselves only being held in place by the wheel lug nuts. Next thing I may have to work on are the engine mounts.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:15 PM

Hey, yes, my only major issue was on bad rear shocks. We have a 2008 model. Apparently this was fixed for 2012, so should not be an issue with you.

As for value, seems about right to me. 25% loss in first year sounds about right. All in we paid about $27,000 for ours off the lot in 2008. I think I would be lucky to sell it today for $12,000. Most likely would sell for $10,000 or so. Still owe $8500 on it!

In calculating your depreciation of the 5's are you sure you matched up all options and trim packages? Even the slightest difference can impact resale (A/C, Manual vs Auto transmission, entertainment package, leather, etc, etc.).

I bet if you did extensive research and charted out a large enough sample size of Mazda 5's, Dodge Caravans, Toyota Siennas, and all other comparables, all with similar mileage, you would find comprable depreciation.

Remember also, asking price is just that, asking price. Might want to compare vehicles from he same dealership - Some will mark up prices more than others - perhaps the dealer you saw the Caravan at is just optimistic.

Time a vehicle spends at a dealer also reflects the price. The longer the car is on the lot, the more likely the price will be slashed just to get rid of it. Perhaps the Mazda has been sitting there a while - maybe it smells like dead fish inside and nobody will buy it whereas the Caravan smells like fresh baked bread, ready to go home with a new family.