Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Silent Sat Nav problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007 | 10:50 AM
Default Silent Sat Nav problem

Hi all..

I have just bought one of these. (Mazda 5) and so far think its great. Certainly better than other in the class that i tried out. I picked up a Sport Nav second hand a week ago. Found this forum as I have been looking for information on a sat nav problem. I am chasing it with the place I bought it from but wanted to see if it is a known problem or just my incompetence.

The sat nav works great, but won't talk to me.. that is it won't give voice directions. I can adjust the volume in the menu and it talks to me to confirm the volume. I can issue voice commands to it using the cool voice recognition function and it will talk back to confirm the command. However no matter what commands I give or buttons I press it will not talk to me to give directions. The only audible communication is a low beep noise when I arrive at a junction.

It doesn't stop me enjoyting the car but it is an annoyance that i have done everything as appears to be required but it does not seem to work. Is anyone aware of some master option somewhere that disables the voice guidance? Something I may have missed? I have tried all the obvious things and been through the manual, but ignorance my be a factor here.

Many thanks

Old 09-17-2007 | 02:54 PM
Default RE: Silent Sat Nav problem

Hi There,

How odd, I can't imagine why that would be. Personally I got rid of the voice commands after about 6 weeks as the screen is so bold and clear I found that Jane (as I named her!!) was just stating the obvious!!

Have you tried a "restore defaults" command from the menus? If you do, I'd be interested to know if it defaults to Belgian, as that's how my car was when I took delivery!

I know this hasn't addressed your problem at all, but I thought I'd say "Hi".

Keep an eye on those tyres !

Dave

Old 09-21-2007 | 03:47 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the restore defaults option (yes back to Belgium) but thats didnt make any difference.
I have also tried changing the language to one of the US voices but still no talking.
The only thing I have noticed is that turning the voice guidance off gives no audible indications at all. Whereas turning it on results in 2 low ding noises when you arrive at a junction or other point where direction is needed.
When you use your sat nav does it give you the voice and the ding noises or just the voice? (im trying to understand if the voice is missing or replaced with the noises.)

Thanks again for the advice though.
I have read with some trepidation the tyre comments here. I bought it with 11,500 on the clock and the tyres looked new, so I am assuming the dealer put nerw boots on before the sale. Nice to have new tyres but suggests it won't be long before I see the problem myself.

Old 09-23-2007 | 11:03 AM

I get voice commands leading up to a junction, then the "bongs" at the junction, so it would seem to be just the voice that has gone astray. The car has a 3 year warranty of course so I think it would be worth yougetting this looked at.

I think your new tyres could well be a warning that you may have trouble in the future, although hopefully I hope for your sake that you don't.

Dave.

Old 09-24-2007 | 10:34 AM

Thanks again for checking that out. Must be a fault (as opposed to me missing something).
I am waiting for a call back from Mazda to see if they can shed any light on it.

cheers

Mark