Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Steering wheel wobble when braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 AM

As Virgin1 says it would probably vibrate from 60+ down to zero if it's a warped disc although I'd say it may not necessarily be very noticeable through the brake pedal - I hired a car once that had a disk that vibrated the steering when braking but couldn't be felt very much through the pedal. After a couple of thousand miles of me ignoring the vibration the disc shattered (which taught me a lesson about why I shouldn't ignore vibrations when braking!).

Out if interest did it start before or after the last service? (it only takes one greasy finger on the surface of a disc to cause it to warp )

As it could be a number of things (discs, tyres) I'd get a trustworthy mechnic to check it (if you know one that is ) - otherwise get the dealer to check it .

Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 AM

Quite right it just isn't detected at other speeds or situations, only under breaking at about 60mph down to 50 ish

However it is just because the effect is so little at other speeds can still be felt slightly through the brake pedal but not the steering.

In for 25,000 mile service soon will get it checked then and report back.

Last edited by S1mplicity; 06-08-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:04 PM

This is (I hope) a very long shot, but the payoff can be worth it.
Check that your wheel lug nuts are all tight.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Smile

Thanks, they are, but you made me smile today

Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Default "warped brake disc"

I had a steering wheel vibration in my Mazda 5 at 5000 km when braking softly on the motorway...I thought it was the front brake disc so took it to my dealer..they agreed..but would not change it under guarantee, saying i had done rally in the car and stuck it in freezing water causing the disc to warp!!!! so they skimmed it. it was ok for 200km and then returned the same...obviously a material problem. My guarantee was the extended 5 year which cost a lot of money..What a ridiculous way to lose a first time Mazda customer...Shame on you Mazda!!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM

I didn't read through to see what everyone posted, but here is my $.02. In my experience, wobbling during braking is caused by bad tie-rod ends. This commonly causes more suspension problems, so have the entire suspension inspected.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=neverbuyamazda]
I had a steering wheel vibration in my Mazda 5 at 5000 km when braking softly on the motorway...I thought it was the front brake disc so took it to my dealer..they agreed..but would not change it under guarantee, saying i had done rally in the car and stuck it in freezing water causing the disc to warp!!!!
Where did they get an idea like that? It seems pretty far-fetched to just come up with it on their own. Did you tell them, or give any inclination that you had rallied the car?

... so they skimmed it. it was ok for 200km and then returned the same...obviously a material problem.
Not so obvious, IMO. As I said before, under braking is when I most noticed the vibration in my Honda too. It was an out of round tire. Replaced the tires, no more problem.
Rotors are not that expensive these days and certainly not hard to change. If you did auto-X or Rally the car, you should be responsible for that, suck it up, replace the parts and move on.