Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Default Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start

I've been meaning to post this question for months....

Every day, as I drive away from my house for the first time that day, there is a comedy-style "twang" noise comes from somewhere beneath my feet, like a metallic stripspringing into place. It only seems to do it once a day!

I reverse off my drive, drive away and about 20 metres down the road "twang".

Anyone else experienced this noise?

Any ideas??

Dave

Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Default RE: Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start

I haven't noticed it on mine but I know on the RX8 the ABS does a self test after you first pull away which results in a "clunk" when the car reaches around 7KPH. I would think the two cars probably have very similar systems so it probably happens on the 5, I'll check next time I drive it.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:27 AM

Thanks Nick.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

It would certainly be the same system (ABS) as on the 3 seriesbut I haven't noticed any noises/issues like that on mine either.
Though I realize this is not directly under foot, could it have something to do w/the parking brake corroding (i.e. surface rust) while parked overnight? I know mine has a pair of coil springs mounted on the calipers to return the brake to neutral status.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:43 AM

Mine does a very slight clunky sort of twang shortly after pulling away. It's very feint but I suspect it is the ABS, as with the RX8. The 2008 5 has more soundproofing which will dull the sound a bit more. It seems to do it at a slightly higher speed than the RX8, I'd say at about 15mph.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Dads_Taxi

I've been meaning to post this question for months....

Every day, as I drive away from my house for the first time that day, there is a comedy-style "twang" noise comes from somewhere beneath my feet, like a metallic stripspringing into place. It only seems to do it once a day!

I reverse off my drive, drive away and about 20 metres down the road "twang".

Anyone else experienced this noise?

Any ideas??

Dave
Hi,

We have a facelifted 2008 Sport 2.0D (UK) and itmakes exactly the same noise.

Seems to coincide withreturning the steering wheel to straight ahead after a making turn - usually the second turn after starting up and as said only does it once.

Dealer had a look but couldnt find anything wrong.

Won't worry if its a "characteristic" !!

On another subject all 4 tyresseem wearing quite quickly on outside edge (2500 miles) so will keep an eye on them and report further. Wife drives it most of the time so its not be ragged around roundabouts.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Hi all, it does sound like it's a characteristic, so that's reassuring, and it sounds like Nick's theory is highly likely to be correct. That's one less thing to worry about!

Keep an eye on those tyres!

Thanks to you all for the contributions to this query.

My horn has stopped working now!! I thought Japanese cars didn't go wrong. Doh !

Dave.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:38 PM

We have just bought our first Mazda, a 5 2.0 Diesel Sport in Black 2008 facelift model. Feel we got a good deal on it & look forward to what I hope will be a good long realtionship with the marque. I've had a number of different makes over the years, buta Toyota Avensis was one of the best alongside a raft of VW's & a Skoda (other car Octavia Vrs).

Anyway, to the point...we've only had it a couple of weeks & apart from some issues with parking sensors we had fitted as an extra...the only problem I've had has been this grating/vib not long after moving off. It's happened a few times & is quite unerving...so this thread was of interest.

I've only just discovered this site, so I am off to check out the other problem area's I might encounter. I knew there was a problem with pre facelift 5 tyres but thought this had been resolved on the facelift UK car????

Thanks & see you again soon !

Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Hi - Ours is a black 2008 diesel sport and we too had problems with the rear parking sensors fitted by the dealer !!

It also makes the grating noise and if you look at my thread on here I think the front tyres are starting to wear excessively.

Apart from the tyre wear its a great car though.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM

I have the noise almost always every morning or first use of the day, usually also after the first reverse. In my humble opinion the noise comes from the rear and I have put it down to movement between the mating surfaces on the rear exhaust to the previous section where it is connected by a spring loaded fitting. I believe after the car has been used and exhaust cools it sticks and when you start moving when it is cold you are 'cracking the seal' (not literally) on the mating surface momentarily. I don't beleive it to be a cause for concern (personally) but it would help to know for definite. What I may do when the weather is warmer is open the joint and apply Copperslip (or similar nuclear grade anti-slip) grease to reduce or remove the snapping/grinding/crunch noise that it generates when it occurs.
Go on! Have a look under the back of your Mazda 5 at the joint at the tail exhaust and give it a yank (cold of course) see if you can replicate the noise/effect. By the way Mine is a Mazda 5 2.0 petrol Sport from July 2008.
I have a QUESTIOn....... I find the 205/50x 17 Dunlop SP tyres slip and perform poorly in damp & wet conditions. Does anyone have experience of better tyres on the Mazda 5?

Quick Reply: Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start