Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Default RE: Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start

Hi all...
Guess what i to have the same noise first thing or after a long break had the problem from new been to dealers twice about it but no joy booked in for power steering pipes to be change for bigger ones on friday dont no if this will solve the problem.. Only done 4200 miles in my 57reg 2.0 furano and got tyre wear on out side of front tyres too dealer say tracking might be out and i have to pay for it to be checked why should the tracking be out after only 4200miles...........

Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 AM

I would check the inside edge of the front tyres too. (See my thread on 2008 model tyre wear)

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM

thanks

i have checked inside edge they are ok they seem..... do you think the power streering pipe change will solve the noise problem i have????

Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 AM

I think some of they guys on here said it cured theirs - Fingers Crossed for you.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:46 AM

I seem to be getting a grinding/scrapping noise from the front right side a lot of the time. It used to be just when the car was cold, but now it happens even after a 5 minute stop !!

Its not the twang noise, that others are reporting though... I guess I'll have to pay a visit to the dealer..

Old 11-22-2008, 05:50 PM

hi all

Took the car in for the power steering pipes change.. But when they got the car on the ramps they found out the car already as the modefied pips on when it was manufactured so they say anyway.....
So back to stage one no idea what it is

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Triplet Man, I think you are confusing two different issues here (or possibly three!)

The power steering pipe modification was the fix to a nerve-wrenching screech that the vehicle produced whilst reversing and turning the steering wheel from full lock. If you have already got the modified pipes, you won't have experienced the noise - and you would remember it if you had!

The twanging noise appears to be a feature not a fault, or that would seem to be the concensus in this thread anyway.

Just don't get me going on TYRE WEAR [:@]

but whilst we're on the subject......

First, do as they suggest, and get your tracking checked.Make sure its a full 4-wheel alignment check carried out on one of the posh laser alignment machines.Insist on a before and after read-out from the computer, and get a receipt (when I had mine done in Bolton it was around £45)

I would put money on:
1) your tracking is spot on, and
2) you have Dunlop Sport tyres on the car.

Then kick up an almighty fuss with your dealer and Mazda UK, attempt to get a different brand of tyres fitted with Mazda coughing up for them, insist on a refund of the cost of the alignment check which proves they were wrong about the tracking being out, and keep us all up to date with what's going on, or not, in the Tyre Wear thread on this forum.

If you have an entire day free you could read that thread to see how frustrated you're about to become..
Best of luck.

Dave.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 PM

Hi all

Thanks for that dads-taxi...
I will do that why should i just sit there and take all that bull from them watch this space....
cheers

Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM

The more I read these threads the more I think that my 5 wasn't made by Mazda...... maybe Toyota made it by mistake

I just can't fault mine, the only thread that I can say happens on my car is occasional condensation in the rear light cluster, but it is minor.

Soon be in for it's first service, no tyre wear, no noises and exceptional fuel economy and very quick (when I allow myself to go mad) great handling.

I almost feel left out, but then again don't and feel thankful I have such a great car.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 AM

S1mplicity, can I ask you what sort of MPG you are getting ? I am still only getting.. Combined.. about 37mpg. I too have a 2008 Sport Diesel. 143ps.

I have been in to myMazda dealer, but was told unless there's a light on to indicate a problem, there was nothing they could do..

The car is practical, but if I had my time and money again, I would choose something else I think ! (Due to poor fuel economy, and poor clutch and gear-change)

By the way, have you shopped around for the first service? As prices seem to vary, but all seem to be in the 350-400 range. ![:@]ouch

Quick Reply: Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start