Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Default RE: Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start

Our 2008 143 diesel doesnt do brilliant MPG either - combined about 36/37 & 41 on a 300mile motorway run

Old 12-05-2008, 06:42 AM

If I tow the caravan it drops to 35.9mpg.
Driving hard (and I mean racing from lights and travelling fast) the lowest I got it to was 38.6mpg.
Average overall for 10000+ miles is 45.3mpg.
Driving carefully as I recently have I'm now getting 51-53mpg.
This car even runs in 6th from around 35mph, keep the revs down below 2,000.
Last tank got to 649 miles on 56 litres.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:56 PM

We did 100 mile trip the other day, all on motorways, and averaged 64mpg on the computer. I was driving like my grandad really feathering the throttle and kept it below 60. Drove normally on the way home and it dropped to 42mpg. We generally get around 44-45 on the computer and by calculating.
Did a trip to Morecambe a couple of weeks ago, left very early in the morning, and averaged 34mpg with an average speed of 85. I was well on my way up to max at one point, when the missus' inbuilt speed detector woke her up and reminded me of the speed limit.
The fuel economy really suffers once you get over 70. It's a bit of a brick to push through the air even with it's fairly low drag coefficient.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: S1mplicity

The more I read these threads the more I think that my 5 wasn't made by Mazda...... maybe Toyota made it by mistake

I just can't fault mine, the only thread that I can say happens on my car is occasional condensation in the rear light cluster, but it is minor.

Soon be in for it's first service, no tyre wear, no noises and exceptional fuel economy and very quick (when I allow myself to go mad) great handling.

I almost feel left out, but then again don't and feel thankful I have such a great car.
S1mplicity, I think ours too was made by Toyota or maybe even Honda . The only thing that's happened was last night, the left hand sliding door stopped opening electrically and just beeped. Tried it a few times with no joy, drove home and it's worked perfectly all day. It may have been tight due to ice???

Old 12-05-2008, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: NickC

We did 100 mile trip the other day, all on motorways, and averaged 64mpg on the computer. I was driving like my grandad really feathering the throttle and kept it below 60. Drove normally on the way home and it dropped to 42mpg. We generally get around 44-45 on the computer and by calculating.
Did a trip to Morecambe a couple of weeks ago, left very early in the morning, and averaged 34mpg with an average speed of 85. I was well on my way up to max at one point, when the missus' inbuilt speed detector woke her up and reminded me of the speed limit.
The fuel economy really suffers once you get over 70. It's a bit of a brick to push through the air even with it's fairly low drag coefficient.
Know what you mean (I also drive occasionally with the same type of speed detector ), this car gives all the usual stuff a real run for it's money or just blows it away with ease, it's got loads of oomph in gear.
BTW sorry for thread hijack

I love this car and so glad I didn't go for the guttless 1.5d grand scenic that I was also looking at.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 AM

Trust me, if you'd bought the Scenic you wouldn't have thought THAT was built by Toyota.

Will you guys stop upsetting me by discussing mpg, I've still not beat 44mpg and normally get 35mpg. I'm no boy racer either.

Anyway, go andstart your own thread, this one's mine!!

Cheers,
Dave (ex Espace owner)

Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Dads_Taxi

Trust me, if you'd bought the Scenic you wouldn't have thought THAT was built by Toyota.

Will you guys stop upsetting me by discussing mpg, I've still not beat 44mpg and normally get 35mpg. I'm no boy racer either.

Anyway, go andstart your own thread, this one's mine!!

Cheers,
Dave (ex Espace owner)
Well Dave,

It's a good point to bear in mind, I have had a Merc B series owner, Honda FRV and a Grand Scenic owner, all who have commented on how good the 5 looks, and value for money, well it speaks for itself.
MPG is a difficult one as each car will be different, as will each driver, even a non boy racer can get low MPG, and yet the boy racer in me always seems to be able to eek that little bit extra out of each car I've had.
What ever you do don't read the how many mpg do you get thread, I'm going to really try for that 700+ mile tank

Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 PM

i've got DA-Clunk! too. i thought i'd ran over something. but the sound came from inside the car. So, i'm happy it's a characteristic, as long as it doesn't turn into a character-flaw. Please post more, for those that get the chance to have their cars in the air, and can repeat this noise.

side note: what mpg? just teasing and soaking up more ethernet...

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Red face My noise had gone.

An update on my Mazda 5 2l petrol sport (08). I did put copperslip around the rear spring loaded exhaust joint a few weeks after my first page post. The noise did disappear and has only reoccured a few times now since after all the snow went away the other week. I assume the wet & salt has washed it out a bit. I will re-apply the the grease (only use copperslip or nuclear grade nickle grease because of temperature obviously) to this joint again if the weather if fine tomorrow.
No other noises to report.
You can see the remains of the copper slip at the fitting end of the joint. Its hard to believe the state of this 8 month old exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails  Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start-p1010899.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Default Update on strange noise please!!

Hi, I have a brand new car (less than 2,500 miles on it) and it's not a Mazda (it's a Hyundai). Dad's Taxi, my husband thought I wrote the thread when I read it to him b/c that is exactly what my car has been doing. It has me panicked as I worry about safety (this is our family car). Have you found this to be normal for your car still? Or have you found a reason? Please let me know the status of your car and the noise and if you've found out what it is or if it's just normal for the car. I have been losing sleep over this. I took it to two seperate dealers who can't "duplicate" the noise and thus don't see a problem. It is driving me insane. Please let me know.

Thanks a bunch

Quick Reply: Strange Noise After 20m From Cold Start