Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Default vibration issues

Is anybody having vibration problems with there mazda5. I have had the car in twice for 2 service, complained about a vibration between 60-80 km/hr. the checked the balance, said it was good, replaced a rear shock they found leaking under warranty, but now not only do I have the vibration still, it happens when braking now which was not a problem prior to the service a week ago. Any insight on this would be great

Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 AM

If it's vibrating under braking it's most likely you have a distorted brake disc (rotor). You'll need new discs and pads to sort it.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the reply NICKC. I complained at my first service in Nov. 2009. they rotated the tires on the service and said it was good. It was good until the second service in April 2010. vibration was still there and got worse. I brought it back 2 weeks ago and they balanced the tires, took it for a road test and said that left rear shock was leaking so they replaced it. Now over the past week or so it vibtrates while driving and braking equally but not on the wheel so much as on the gas and brake pedals. my foot falls asleep on the gas pedal and you can feel it on the arm rests. any ideas. I read all these posts about rear camber problems, rear shocks and struts, and even with this mystery motor mount issue so how do you approach these guys about this issue. Car is only 7 months old. thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM

If it was a camber problem causing the vibration you'd be noticing severe tyre wear by now. If you feel it in the brake pedal whilst braking and it's worse braking from speed then it's the discs (not unheard of in nearly new cars....it happens).

If it's happening all the time in normal use and braking then it's a balance issue or you could have a tyre that's "out of round" or a buckled rim.

I had a customer with a VW Sharan a while ago with a similar issue After the main dealer balanced the wheels and said they'd sorted it the problem persisted. I had a look and suggested one of the tyres wasn't quite round. They lived with the problem for a while before changing the tyre and....hey presto, cured.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:56 PM

You say "vibration". What frequency is this happening at? Does it feel like it's vibrating once per wheel revolution or is it much faster? Does it feel like it's linked to road speed or engine RPM?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 PM

NICKC. It feels like it is linked to road speed. as i hit the 60km mark you start to feel it on the gas pedal and stays there til around the 90km mark> when slowing down with the brake it is constant til the 40 km mark. i have been to Mazda today and caught them with the possibility of the engine mounts. They looked shocked that I knew that but admitted that they do replace due to problems but i should not need this yet> when the car is idling at the stop light, you feel the vibration on the steering wheel and the brake pedal. Mazda is taking it for a road test Friday. I had my Mazda 3 sport before this car and had the rotors warp, this does not feel the same as the steering is not jerky. I don't know what to say, it was not there when we bought the car and I drive it 35 km each way to and from work. As far as the camber, they said that my tires had shown some excessive wear when the second service was done. It really sucks that the car is only 7 months old. is it possible that engine is the cause, because I remember with the 3 that they had to re program the engine/transmission because it felt like the engine was doing the braking, not the brakes themselves. Your insight is appreciated. i will post what they find on Friday please keep the ideas coming my way
Cheers

Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 AM

I think it's probably best to wait and see what they say. Hopefully, it's something fairly simple and they'll sort it. It's very difficult to diagnose a fault without actually seeing the car. I'll be interested to hear what they say.