Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

'04 6 - Need right size ball joint separator

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Default '04 6 - Need right size ball joint separator

So, I got myself in a bind working on a CV axle replacement. I've done Cv work before, but I had no idea that the ball joints on this 6 would be such a pain to remove.

Anyway, I'm now looking for one of those levering ball joint separators, but based on the fork I had, I'm a little confused about what size I need. From the fork I tried , it's looking like it's 15/16", but I understand there's a sleeve in there along with the bolt, and I only want the bold out, so I want to do it right the first time. What size does the C-shaped section on the top of the separator need to be? Did some digging in this and other forums, but I've not seen a conclusive answer.

Also, I've only seen 3/4" ones for sale. If the answer is 15/16" (or really anything other than 3/4" or something similar in metric), where can I get one of those?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 AM

Hi, l'm a little confused, which ball joints are you trying to remove?
There are two at the bottom and one on top of the stub axle.
To remove the drive shaft, you will not need a ball joint splitter.
Using a splitter will not guarantee you not damaging the rubber dust covers.
I can guide you through the procedure step by step if you want.
It should only take you 15mins at most to remove any drive shaft on a Mazda 6.
Hope this helps!

Old 06-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Default Right size ball joint seperator for 04 6

What is the right size? Will 23 mm work?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Default Ball joint separator not required.

Hello, a ball joint separator is not usually required. To remove the lower ball joints, simply jack up the vehicle making sure it is then safely supported off the ground. Remove the road wheel, undo the nut or nuts depending on which ball joint you are working on. Then put the nut back on the threads a few turns to protect them. Then simply shock the ball joint using a suitable hammer by hitting the outside of the ball joint itself. Make sure not to hit the rubber dust cover and nut. A few hard hits should be enough to separate the ball joint and or steel collar (if working on the lower arms) the lower arms will stay in position until you apply pressure on the arm pulling the ball joints open with downward movement. Then simply remove the nut and prise the ball joint apart and move the hub assembly to one side. (Make sure you have completely removed the shock absorber lower bolt and nut from the arm first) otherwise one of the arms won't pull down. Hope this helps.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:35 AM

Sorry just to clarify, the hammer blows should be hitting the lower stub axle cast steel part and NOT the control arms themselves. Once the ball joints have come apart the arms should lift up and out if their perspective hole locations. Sometimes the steel collars will stay on the control arms and sometimes they stay in the stub axle. Makes no difference.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Default Hit the steering knuckle?

Thanks. You mean hit the steering knuckle edge in the area I've circled in the attached picture? The heaviest hammer I have access to is 4 pounds. Is that suitable? It would be awesome if I can get it off with just that

Best regards.

Attached Thumbnails '04 6 - Need right size ball joint separator-steering-knuckle-mazda-6-gr1a3302x-.jpg  
Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Default Ball joint removal

Hi, yes that's exactly the correct area to hit. That hammer should be more than suitable. Just hit the area closest to each ball joint. And keep trying to lift the ball joint up after every blow. Sometimes the joint can separate and you don't realise it. Good luck!! I've done hundreds using this method.