Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

'04 Mazda 6 Wagon rear hatch handle stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Angry '04 Mazda 6 Wagon rear hatch handle stuck

Has anyone fixed this problem before?

SX: The pull-handle on my wagon's rear hatch is pulled back and stuck in that position so that I can't open the rear gate/door.

It had been occasionally sticking, especially when someone pulled it before the doors were unlocked, but usually it rebounded. I squirted some WD40ish lube on the handle's two outside pivot pins and that seemed to help for a while, but now it is really stuck. I suspect the problem is deeper in the mechanism. Any insight on this?

Thanks.

Last edited by Timbuk3; 05-26-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem. Same car. Please e-mail me at sschiffert@verizon.net. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Default Solution to: 04 Mazda 6 Wagon rear hatch handle stuck

I finally got it open and I found out (embarrassingly ) that what I thought was a “pull-only” handle is actually cup-shaped. So, if you peak under, you can actually “push” the handle open by pushing in on the opposite side of the cup shaped handle, pushing it “away” from you as you stand behind the car.

I also read something about pressing and holding the unlock button on the key fob for three seconds to reset the locks which also helped as I recall, or I just pushed unlock a few times, I can't remember exactly.

Then, once open, there is a small round (~ 2”) trim panel access cover on the center of the inside-lower hatch panel that can be popped out to access the mechanicals of the latch and I just shot it up with a lubricant. I notice that the round access panel cover does not fit back as well so be careful popping it out that you don’t distort it too much.

Seems to be working much better now. Probably there is a better grease that I should have used but whatever, done is good and now I know how to open it if I need to again.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Default 2004 Mazda 6 liftgate latch

Are you still having success with this latch by "pushing" it if it is stuck in the "pull" position? I started having this same problem earlier this year and was thinking the latch was broken and needed replacing. It too seems "stuck".

Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Default 2004 Mazda 6 liftgate latch

Mine stills sticks a bit occasionally, especially if someone pulls it while locked or while unlocking it.

Once you know the secret to push it into the side opposite where you normally pull on it, it should be totally recoverable.

Sschiffert replied that this solution worked, have you been able to make it work for yourself? It was not intuitive to me and a bit hard to describe in words... but once you find the trick it will be easy to remember and reproduce.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM

same problem with my 2004 5 door.
Solution: push back of handle (part behind the pull) back towards vehicle. Click "lock" on remote. Hold unlock and latch releases.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM

I had to get mechanism replaced, might have been $100 part. I used by pass on inside of latch (fro the inside), but crawling througth the backseat to open is not so fun after a while. I would just make sure you hit unlock a few times a nd make sure you hear hatch "unlock" before touching the thing. Maybe design or part is just junk!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM

I'll have to try the pushing method. I've been struggling with mine since I purchased the vehicle use.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Default trunck latch

Originally Posted by sschiffert
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem. Same car. Please e-mail me at sschiffert@verizon.net. Thanks!

ARE YOU STILL HAVING PROBLEM? ,y wagon is having problem and they want $380 to fix......any luck with lift up/out method?

Old 12-28-2019, 07:16 PM

A little penetrating oil sprayed on latch spring above the latch (from outside the car) fixed mine.

just a suggestion to try before taking the door apart.

Quick Reply: '04 Mazda 6 Wagon rear hatch handle stuck