Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

'04 Mazda 6 Wagon rear hatch handle stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 02:36 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but I had the same problem.
My rear hatch window broke and glass went everywhere.
Glass went into the hatch latching mechanism and prevented the hatch from opening when using the handle.
After removing the plastics panels from the inside of the car, I was able to access the latching mechanism.
I was able to open the hatch from the inside finally, after I pushed down on the metal rod that connected the latching mechanism. This required some force.
Once the hatch was open, I was able to remove the latching mechanism completely from the car.
After tapping on it, I could see the bits of glass were stopping the latch from operating freely.

Hope this helps!!!.

Originally Posted by Timbuk3
Has anyone fixed this problem before?

SX: The pull-handle on my wagon's rear hatch is pulled back and stuck in that position so that I can't open the rear gate/door.

It had been occasionally sticking, especially when someone pulled it before the doors were unlocked, but usually it rebounded. I squirted some WD40ish lube on the handle's two outside pivot pins and that seemed to help for a while, but now it is really stuck. I suspect the problem is deeper in the mechanism. Any insight on this?

Thanks.