Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

05 mazda5 hatch tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Default 05 mazda5 hatch tires

Hey Everyone,

I just joined this forum today. I am the proud owner of a 2005 mazda6i hatch in Volcanic Red. I have had this car for a few months now and love everything about it, except one thing. This car sucks in the rain. I has the original tires on it still at about 45,000 miles on it. The tread looks ok, but you wouldn't know it in the rain. The whole point of my post is to ask all of you if the tires that Mazda put on this car are ok for winter driving? I live in northwest Ohio and it can get pretty bad around here in the winter months. I can't seem to find any info. to tell me if these are winter rated tires. And one other question, If I buy new winter tires, am I able to drive with these on in the summer also. I am pretty clueless. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 10-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Default RE: 05 mazda5 hatch tires

hmm. I live in Toledo, Ohio. I have a 2005 6 as well. I had no problems last winter. But the tires only had 12,000 miles on it. Are they the Michelins? The tires arent perfect in the snow, but they are rated highly. Make sure you keep the TCS on if you are spinning the tires. Let me know what kind of tires you have and what size rims and what not!

Old 10-15-2006, 06:32 PM

Hey Mazdaguy,

I am from Findlay, and was just up at Franklin Park yesterday. Anyways, I just went out to check, and the tires are Michelins P215/50 R17. Are these meant for driving in the snow? Even if they are ok for snow, will I be able to find new 17" tires that are better for snow and able to fit in the wheelwell. The tires I have now seem to be low profile?

Josh

Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Anybody else know any info. on this????????? Please let me know

Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 PM

Hey,

I just noticed the topic here I started says 05 mazda5, thats wrong, I have an 05 Mazda6i hatch, need info. on the tires that came with it, good for snow or not?

Thanks,
Josh Tsantles

Old 10-15-2006, 10:41 PM

Well they were ok for me. I did experience some minor problems in the snow. But as long as you drive smart, the car will plow through the snow. I have the same tires. They are low profile. The only alternative is snow tires. But I do believe you have to switch back to regular tires during more normal climates. My .02 is just be careful on the wintery days, drive slow(Basically, be smart). Have the tires been rotated? If not, that should help. But based on the miles you put on the tires, it woudln't be a bad idea to get new tires. It depends on if you really dont feel safe! I believe the Michenlins are only estimated to go 60,000 miles. Hope that helps!

Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 AM

With 45,000 miles, it's about time to get new tires. Go to www.tirerack.com and check out the surveys on tires. I say you should get a top rated tire in the ultra or high performance catagory. I live in Canada where there is lots of snow/ice, so I have 2 sets of tires: 1 for summer and 1 for winter. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:48 AM

p.s. 215/50-17 is not a popular size, so you can try 225/45-17 which is what I use for summer.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the response. But, do you mean I should get high performance tires for winter or for all season. I don't want to have two different sets of tires if possible. I went to Sears yesterday and they said the best tires I could put on it are 30,000 mile tires. That doesn't sound right to me, and if it is, that sucks because I drive at least 25,000 a year! They said the reason for so low miles guaranteed is because they are low profile?

Josh

Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 PM

Check out the 4 season tire surveys at www.tirerack.com. You can also find out the sizes available for the tires you like, then call around to get the best price. Tell them what you want and stick with it. Sears or any store will try to sell you what they carry. You wouldn't go to a Chevy dealer to buy a Mazda, Right?

Quick Reply: 05 mazda5 hatch tires