Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2004 Mazda6i - Engine is a mess

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Default 2004 Mazda6i - Engine is a mess

Bought the car used, on 8/06, in MD. I'm from PA. Took it to Murray Mazda in Williamsport since the seat needed replaced. Some bar was sticking out from the foam, they were really good about it and replaced it right away. I bought it with a little over 35,000 miles on it. They had it on the lift for an oil change, and noticed the plastic underguards were missing. Made me thinkit might have been in an accident, it was quite a hassle to deal w/ the dealership in MD but they finally sent the piece. Also the plastic engine cover was missing.

I got my oil changed every 3,000-3,500 miles. In the beginning of december I noticed a noise that sounded like a 'crunching' noise when I would put it in drive, first thing in the morning. No engine light came on. I called Murray Mazda, but at this time it was at 49,800 miles. Called monday, I couldn't get it in until Saturday. However by the time they would have seen it, it would be over 50,000 miles (has a 4 yr. 50,000 mile warranty). Service told me they would call me back about this, never did.

The problem would be hit or miss, sometimes I wouldn't hear anything. Well, this week things got much worse. Thursday, I noticed a knocking, sound when I would go over 2000 rpms. Friday it took a turn much worse, I didn't think I was going to get it home from work. It knocks very, very loud soon as you start it. I had to have it towed from where I live ($180 bill, which the dealership won't cover). It wouldn't make the 30 mile trip to the dealership. Now it has 51,400 miles. I talked to the GM about the issue and he told me to bring it in, which I did. They told me they were going to look at it today and monday and let me know.

Do you guys think they might cover this under a 'good will' policy? I did make the call before the warranty expired. I'm assuming it's going to need a whole new engine. I am just beyond pissed about this, considering my wife is pregnant and due in 2 months. Anyone have any experience with Mazda's warranties?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Default RE: 2004 Mazda6i - Engine is a mess

Basically told me toscrew off. I called mazda's customer care center and they are talking to the dealership and getting back to me. They were trying to say an old oil ring was used, creating a leak. I am trying to get ahold of the last mechanic that did the oil changeto see if he used a new one, but the problem existed before this. I called walmart, told them the situation and i'm going to bring in the filter tonight after work. The dealership wants $3600 fora remanufacturedengine plus labor. They can screw themselves.. I'm pissed.

Walmart changed the oil before my mechanic at work did. They asked if there were two rings on it, I told them Mazda didn't mention anything about this. The only way an oil ring would have been used is if both Walmart and my mechanic both left the old one on, which I very highly doubt.

Mazda care center asked me twice 'How much were they going to charge you?'. So, I don't know what's going on. I have a feeling it's going to be a hassle. An engine should not be losing a rod bearing at only 50,000 miles.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM

The problem is, you have no idea how it was treated for the first 35,000 miles. Sounds like it had tons of things worked on prior to you buying it (seat broken, missing shields, missing engine cover, etc.). It's possible the oil change you did was the first one the car rec'd...who knows?

I've had great experience with getting things covered under warranty.

Did you run it out of oil? That's what it sounds like. Was it leaking after your oil change? It lost a rod bearing because it had no oil to lubricate it from the sound of your post.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM

I got it at 35,000 miles and had oil changes to it since I had it. The first one I had done was at the dealership, they were the ones who mentioned about the plastic guards. When I had my mechanic change it, he said there was about 2 qts in it. Though the oil or check engine light did not come on. He didn't notice any leaking either. He told me he didn't change the oil ring, since the filter he got at autozone did not have one. He changed it Thursday. When he pulled out the old oil filter it had alot of metal in it, really fine bits of it.

The dealership told me today that the oil ring looks worn, well it would be since that was not changed on thursday. The problem was going on before this past change. I spent an hour at walmart, they used a fram oil filter, didn't have any of that model even on the shelf. They called another store to see if the filter had an oil filter ring, and that store said it did. They are getting the district manager involved, they want to know what is happening as well.

I had mechanics tell me that a bad bearing can cause oil consumption, so I don't know what caused which and why. The dealership hasn't been much help and in fact the corporation was waiting for the service manager at the dealership to call them back, never did. I had to call the dealership to tell this service manager that the corporation left a voice mail forhim. He just sounded like he didn't care. I have a feeling i'm going to have a huge fight on my hands.

I have a few major points in this that I am upset about:

1) I called before the warranty and feel the dealership blew me off. I talked to two service techs and then the manager about my problem and he never called me back.

2) None of the warning lights came on about the oil/engine. However it did come on when I needed windshield wiper fluid.

Those lights should have come on as soon as I was low at least a quart, or if there was low oil pressure. This IMO is a defect.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM

They want me to fax them all my oil change service records to them, which I just did.. Waiting to hear back from them.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Wow.. sorry for your problems. I will definelty print this out to let them know that these failures are alot more common than what it should be. I haven't heard anything back today, by tomorrow I will. I'm just hoping they will cover it, the service manager told me that usually they will cover part of it. Bull****! They need to take responsibility for what happened. They want $3600 for an engine, where I can the same engine w/ a warranty for $1695. So even if they cover 50%, it's still not a deal when they charge double for the engine. I will not pay for their mistakes.

If need be I will go to the public w/ my story, to any news media that would be willing to listen. I will also be contacting the BBB and getting an attorney. It's awful that these mazdas are going like this. Honestly I think this is it for me. Once I get the engine in, I'm trading her. It's just too much to go through right now, especially with having a baby in 2 months and having complications with that on top of this.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:22 AM

Got some good news yesterday, Mazda is going to cover the whole thing, except the fluids.. Not sure why they won't cover that..

The service manager said that us buying a new car there a short time ago really helped. Not sure what the heck that has to do with anything, but I already had a lawyer ready and was going to fight it if they weren't going to fix it for free.

They are suppose to call me next week to give me a timetable on how long it will take, they are ordering parts now.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 PM

I highly recommend that you sell the car or use it as a trade in as soon as you get it back...and stay away from Mazda altogether.

Here's my post about 2 engine failure that were luckily covered...my lease ends in a month and I will never deal with Mazda again.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_12740/tm.htm

Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM

WHOA buddy, chill out for a second. Before proving how ignorant you are by coming onto a MAZDA forum and telling people not to buy mazda becuase thier cars are inferior let me ask u this. Have u ever owned any other mazda? if not than dont dismiss the brand all together becuase u made a stupid mistake and bought a used car that was more than likely beat to hell before you got it. You need to realize that u take a risk when u purchase a used car over a new one. ANY car that is mistreated and not takin care of will have problems, let alone one that was most likely in an accident before you bought it. do some research. Mazda has some great machines. The mazda3 is everything you could hope for a car in that price range then some, best compact car in that $ range.I beleive it overtook the civic and the corrolla last year in sales also, on top of the numerous awards ithas won.The miata has been one of the most beloved sports cars for 4 generations now. The cx-9 won the motor trend sports utility of the year. The cx-7 has earned many accolades as well. Cant forget the only rotary powered car on the market with the rx-8.Don't dismiss the brand all together becuase u made a stupid mistake. Theres a wonderfull website called carfax.com, check it out nexttime before u buy a used car.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: npoll212

WHOA buddy, chill out for a second. Before proving how ignorant you are...dont dismiss the brand all together becuase u made a stupid mistake and bought a used car that was more than likely beat to hell before you got it. You need to realize that u take a risk when u purchase a used car over a new one. <remaining garbage truncated>[sm=icon_blah.gif]
Clearly you chose toget on your little Mazda soap boxbefore you evenread my other post whcih I provided you a link to. Ileased (thank christ!) my 04 Mazda 6 in, you guessed it, 2004 when it was BRAND NEW![sm=signs007.gif]

Yes it was my first Mazda but certainly not my first vehicle. I never mistreated it and it still let me down. After only 70,000 KM it is on it's third engine...THIRD ENGINE!!!!!!!

Don't be such a dick...yes, bad things can happen to your favorite car manufacturer...I had to endure it.