Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2005 & 2006 Mazda 6S (?) Integrated Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Default 2005 & 2006 Mazda 6S (?) Integrated Fog Lamps

First: I own a 2005 & 2006 I assume they are both S models, my assumption being 6i = 4 cyl, 6s = V6 and the Grand Touring models have 18” wheels. Both of my cars have the 3.0L V6 and the same five spoke 17” alloy wheels. For what it’s worth, my ’05 is like the one in this video:

Second: I’m thinking both cars have fog lamps but neither light is working in either of the two cars. The headlight assembly appears to have bulbs between the high beam and the turn signal lamps. Also, both cars have the ring-shaped switch next to the regular headlight switch so to sum things up, I believe both cars have integrated fog lamps. Please correct me if I am mistaken. I understand the fog lights turn off when the high beams are on.

Third: getting the lights to work. I believe the fog lights have a dedicated fuse which I haven’t checked but will. If this fuse is blown in either car, it would be an indication of a greater problem so for the sake of discussion, let’s assume the fuses are good in both cars and the all four bulbs (two cars, two bulbs) are bad.

With regard to replacing the headlights and fog lights, here’s what the owner’s manual states: “Due to the complexity and difficulty of the procedure, the bulbs should be replaced by an Authorized Mazda Dealer.” I don’t consider this a reasonable option so I checked the infinite knowledge available on the internet and I’ve seen some suggestions where the inner fender well is removed. I’ve also read in various placed where it was stated that removing the bumper only takes about 15 minutes and provides better access. I would like to hear from anyone that can shed light on this.

Edit: There’s a low wattage bulb in the upper outer edge of the high beam reflector. Is this a daytime running light, overnight parking light or ?

Thank you.

Last edited by Neo Fender; 09-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

READ: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-change-32369/
and https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...h1-bulb-29741/

My car has fog lights down below. I believe Mazda had left over light assemblies that used to have fog lights hooked up in earlier models, however, they also did not change that headlight part of car in 2006.

The small bulb is suppose to be daytime running light, it's a Canadian thing for sure. it's a 194 bulb, i put a LED one there.

Your 2006 V6 exhaust is extremely poorly engineered and you need to read: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-design-28940/

Old 09-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Not all Mazda 6's have foglamp. If you don't have them then your headlight housing will be different & they cant fit/accept fog-light bulbs. They look the same but are not the same.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 AM

Dug around a little yesterday and found the following. I don’t drive the ’06 very often so I am not that familiar with it. The ’06 6S does not have fog lights as I assumed. There’s no switch and in place of bulbs, there appears to be chrome inserts instead, so the ’06 is out.

Back to the ’05. I found the fog light fuse and it was vacant but there was the same 7.5 amp fuse parked two spaces aware in a spare slot. I can hear the fog relay clicking on and off with the switch, so I will check to see if I am getting voltage up to the bulb sockets.

This brings up an interesting question which will probably be of no interest to anyone but me. Why would the previous owner (or a mechanic) pull the fuse to the foglights, especially since replacing the fuse did not bring the lights back to life? Did one side burn out and the precious owner did not want one to drive around with a one-eyed car? If so, replacing the fuse should have brought one side back to life. If both sides are out as my cars is now, why pull the fog lamp fuse ?

More work with a multimeter to be done.