Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2006 Mazda 6 with 4cyl maintenence questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Transmission cooler: yes, the purpose is to keep the temperature of the tranny fluid lower. There is a direct connection between temperature and the useful life of the fluid. In your case I would hold off on adding a cooler. It has been o.k. for this many miles.

Tranny service: I suggest you discuss this with your mechanic. The risk is that an input of fresh detergents will remove varnish that has built up on the inner walls. Drop the pan and change the filter is going to be less risky than a 100% flush. He may be able to see if there is a lot of varnish build up (endoscope?). By the way the CD4E transmission does not have any filter, only a screen. (But I don't know if you have a CD4E). If Mazda put a synthetic in there may not be all that much varnish and the risk may be limited. If there is a lot of varnish you should set aside some money for a transmission replacement and keep driving with the old fluid.

Struts: excellent! I use dealer service only for safety recalls for exactly this reason. A good independent mechanic is saving you thousands!
Thanks much Tanpro! Is there a code/number I can look for to determine what trans I have? I will definitely discuss these trans service options with him. Also going to have my radiator hoses replaced when they do the radiator flush. I will also talk to mechanic about a brake fluid flush. Also tire shopping now..any suggestions on them?
Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jimx200
Thanks much Tanpro! Is there a code/number I can look for to determine what trans I have? I will definitely discuss these trans service options with him. Also going to have my radiator hoses replaced when they do the radiator flush. I will also talk to mechanic about a brake fluid flush. Also tire shopping now..any suggestions on them?
Thanks again.
You are welcome, jimx200! I am sure there is a code but I let you find it yourself by using your VIN # and google-ing skills. The mechanic can look it up for you too. What's important is this: is there an replaceable filter?

The mechanic and you should come up with a valid plan to keep the transmission alive. I would also get an estimate on a transmission replacement. It may affect your willingness to commit $$ to other aspects.

For example if you are convinced the tranny will do fine you may be willing to go for better quality tires. The same if you are prepared to replace the tranny if the existing one conks out.

I replace radiator hoses only when they fail.

The TireRack.com has reviews and ratings on tires. I suggest to read reviews based on cars of similar size and front wheel drive, and pay attention to reviews that were written after some significant distance of use. I don't buy through TireRack, it's way to complicated and I like to give my local mechanic some earnings.

I like Michelin Harmony on my minivan. They are quiet and improved the handling over the tires prior to that: BF Goodrich Traction T/A. But those had a manufacturing defect. I have BF Goodrich Traction T/A on the Protege. They are not as quiet but everything else is very good. I am not able to push them over the limit, and I did Autocross on them.