Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Car is not happy! possible fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Question Car is not happy! possible fuel problem

Hello to all.

This morning i drive to work and my car runs fine, no problems at all.

Tonight when i get into my car and try to start it the car will not tick over/kick in.

In the end to get the car started ive had to pump the gas peddle when starting the engine, once i let my foot off of the gas, the car stalls.

My first thought was this must be an ICV problem.

I tried starting the car again (with gas) and kept it reving for about a minute. This allowed the engine to keep running. But everytime i turned the engine it off, it did not like to start. (have to start with gas everytime and hold)

I managed to drive home, but while i driving i tried to pull away from traffic and the turbo would not kick in, up to 1500/1750 rpm it seemed ok, after that, it was stuttering and juddering and had no real acceleration .

Could this mean that its a fuel sensor problem or a fuel pump problem?

I had breakdown recovery come and have a look at the car before i left work, they plugged their laptop into the car but found no faults!

I start my new job next week and must have my car for it, so you can understand how P***ed off i am.

The car is a mazda 6 2.0D, 54 plate , estate, 124,600 on the clock.

If anyone could help that would be fantastic.

Where is the fuel sensor?

I think the fuel pump is under the back seats

thanks guys/girls

Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

I would check for air leaks in the intercooler. It could cause the ECU to overcompensate and changing your air/fuel ratio mixture.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Well funny you should mention something about air.

While poking my head inside the engine i find that a pipe/hose was loose.

The air filter box, the big hose to the left was not connected. I have now reconnected it, But still having same problem with engine not starting (wont start with gas now either) I had a minor crash and had some work done to fix it, this was about 3 weeks ago, so they possible could not have put the hose back on properly

All other pipes seem fine.

If the ECU has been messed up, is this an easy/cheap fix?

How would i check if it is the ECU?

Few people ive spoken to (mates) seem to think it could be the fuel sensor, any idea where is? and how much a new one would be?

Thanks for the help so far.