Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Considering 06 or 07 mazda speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Default Considering 06 or 07 mazda speed

Well I don't normally make posts like this in foums but I am in need of some advice rather quickly. I am considering purchasing a mazda 6 speed in the next few weeks. I am considering the car because of its good performance, ability to carry 5 passangers( even if tigh) and the ability to have a trunk and four doors. (I am coming from a 2000 jeep wrangler that i am in love with) But realality has set in and I need 4 doors, better gas mileage, and the ability to cruise @ 80mph up hill

Several questions
Any differences between 06 or 07?

What are the most common problems with these vehicles?

What are the "cons" to ownnig this vehicle- throw anything and EVERYTHING at me here..

My local dealer said hes gonna sell it at "invoice" to me and was very eager in selling me this over the maszda speed3 which he wont have for another month, are they going for invoice right now?

TIA i really appreciate any help you guys/gals could throw my way!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Default RE: Considering 06 or 07 mazda speed

Okay, first of all, good choice, and I'm assuming you mean speed 6, correct? I have had my speed 6 for almost 2 weeks and I love it. I've already put 600 miles on it and love it. Gas mileage for a 4 cyl is just a little low, but you can manage an easy 20mpg if you're not "on it" all the time. I am and I average the claimed 19 mpg city. I don't have much freeway miles on it, but those I have had are a joy. Put it in 6th and cruise 80 at a nice quiet 3K rpm and have plenty of go on tap. Hills... this car laughs at hills. I pull hills at 50 mph in 6th at a little over 2K rpm with no problem at all, don't even need to feed it any extra gas, so 80 in 6th (3K) will put you right at the torque peak. The car is very roomy, very comfy and has TONS of ammenities. I was able to get mine (06 Speed 6, Grand Touring) just above invoice (just over 29K) then subtract the 3500 rebate right now (currently going til the 31st of October). There are no announced significant changes from the 06 to 07 models. My opinion, get the 06, and get the rebate, unliess you like paying 3500 more for the same car (sarcasm). CONS, none yet. I suggest the fleet or internet fleet department, you just get better deals. I got MUCH better service than dealing with one of the hounds out front.

About the speed 3... Same motor with less hp. FWD only, versus awd on the speed 6, so if you ever push it, you'll experience torque steer and possible wheel hop. It's a hatch (I hate hatchbacks but to each his own). Little bit smaller. You have to wait a couple months and face possible significant markups. Where are you buying from anyway? If you happen to be in the So. Cali. area, seek out NORCO MAZDA and speak to Andrew, he treated me great. Best service I've ever had at the dealer.

Hope that this helps out.