Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Do it yourself or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Default Do it yourself or Dealer?

Fluid Changes (oil, brake, coolant, etc). When it's time for their changes, what do you suggest. Especially on the oil change. If prefferably suggested to be done by owner, what oil is recommended? As far as the other fluids?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Do it yourself or Dealer?

My oil and other drivetrain fluids (tranny, rear differential, transfer case) are all done in my garage. Great way to save money and bond with your car....and make sure it's done correctly. Auto tranny fluid apparently is also a snap, but can be kind of a mess. The one item I'll be having done at the dealer is the coolant flush. I'm unfamiliar with the 2.3's tendency to form air pockets in the engine with a full coolant drain, and they can be tricky to get rid of, with disastrous results if you don't get them all out...so, Hancock Mazda will doing that for me. Other than that, get yourself some tools, some good quality ramps and jackstands and go at it. If you have the 2.3, buy the CORRECT tools for dealing with the filter cartridge or I promise you it will bite you in the ***.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Do it yourself or Dealer?

I just have the dealership do it all for me. Not worth it. Getting rid of the oil, mess...For 35 bucks Tasca mazda does my oil...Just not worth my time...