Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Default Fog Lights

I have an 04 Mazda 6s (Sport) Edition happy days ... anyways ... The 'Sports Edition' did not come with lower grill (lower bumper area) fog lights, mazda instead installed them in the normal headlight unit.

i found an awesome set of after market headlights that fit perfect into my sports bumper, and i even went to the mazda dealer and picked up the original in-dash fog button that comes with the non-sports edition. it fits perfect in between the tract-contrl & dimmer .. i did this purposely so it can look original & clean (no crummy after market switches and wires hanging around)

my problem , or more like an annoying turn-back ... is sometimes as im stepping away from my car, i realize i've left my lower fog lights on, and i have to return to my car, and turn them off... obviously they are not wired into the 'norm' of the cars circuits, and relays... but what i would like to do is to figure out - how to wire my lower fog lights -so that they can turn off on the same timmer (as the original lights) in case i leave them on by mistake..

any ideas .. ? [X(] i would greatly apprecite them ...

Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Default RE: Fog Lights

icspots seems to have all of the electrical answers.....

It shouldn't be hard to just wire the power through your regular headlight switch so they turn on without even needing an additional switch (they would always be on wheneverthe headlights are on.)

Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM

Wire the fogs through the headlights would probably blow the fuse since it will have to carry the extrajuice for the fogs. Looks like you are getting the power directly from the battery, through a fuse, I hope. Keep you switch, but put in a relay powered by aheadlight so the fogs will be off automatically when you turn off the headlights. This is how the factory wire the fogs.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM

p.s. the relay you need is # 275-226 at RadioShack, $6.49. They will show you how to wire it. Good Luck.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 PM

go to any audio shop and tell them you need a relay. and also the"wiring diagram for the vehicle"these are standard SPDT relays, and hte same diagram they shop would use to install an alarm

It will have 5 terminals on the bottom of if (they will all be labeled) 85, 86, 87, 87a, 30

connnect 85 to headlight or foglight wire that shows 12 volts when your headlights/ or foglights are on.
connect 86 to chassis ground
connect30 to your foglight POSITIVE input wire
connect 87 to 12V ignition. (wire that turns on only when your ignition is on) PUT A 15 AMP fuse INLINE with this wire. (between the ignition, and hte relay)

What this will do is turn on your lower fog lights, ONLY when you headlight switch is in the on/fogligh position, AND ONLY when the key is turned on.

Double safety, you cant forget to turn off your fog lights, and even if you do leave the headlight switch on, thye will turn off when you turn the key off.

You can put this relay under the dash or in the engine compartment, Under the dash it is a LOT easier to wire and get the wires you need, however it sucks to run the wires through the firewall in that car.

If you put it under the hood. you will have a harder time finding an Ignition wire, and the headlight /foglight wire will be tougher to get for they are in the headlight assembly, and not easily accessable.

good luck

Wolfz23

Old 07-27-2007, 05:51 PM

I purchased an '05 5-door not too long ago and wanted to make the front end look a little sleeker by adding fog lights into the dummy vents on the front air damn. all sports models prior to the '06 do not come with the ability to install these fog lights. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get these and how to install them. thanks!