Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

headlight

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Looks great!! Could you give me some idea how much more light in comparison to the originals? Also my focal lens seems to be foggy but maybe that is normal?

Your change out description is excellent, thanks. That is exactly what I expected. It still is poor engineering I think that the assembly must be removed by taking off the bumper...lol. I saw the slim ballast in some of the ads and was wondering if that was the way to go, it is for sure.

From what it looks like from here I guess that ordering a nice set of HID lights should be in order. When it gets done I will let you know how I made out.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Well I know that the kit I'm currently running (4500K 55watt) puts out 5000 lumens. As for comparison to the stock output...I'm not sure what the output was stock. I CAN tell you that my kit is a tad brighter than Dad's Lexus GS350's headlights, though not by a lot.
Install is pretty much plug and play aside from drilling the dust caps, but that's easy and not at all a big deal.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 AM
ps3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...p#Applications

" Internationalized European vehicle regulations require such headlamps to be equipped with lens cleaners and an automatic self-leveling system to keep the beams aimed correctly regardless of vehicle load and altitude, but no such devices are required in North America, where inherently more glaring beam patterns are also permitted. Retrofitting HID bulbs in headlamps not originally designed to accept them results in extremely high levels of glare, and is illegal throughout most of the world "

Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 AM

While what you have brought up is true. There should be a law also to require performance standards of headlights. Poor design by manufacturers should also be against the law. It would seem that the original lighting systems on these were designed to eliminate glare to the extent of not having enough light for seeing what is ahead on the road.

Unfortunately I live in an area of the country that is heavily populated with road crossing critters. Along with the critters some of the roads are in disrepair especially in the spring of the year. Now keeping all this in mind, with the lights that came with the car only allow slow driving if you don't want to outdrive the headlights. I would, even at my advanced age like to at least drive up to the speed limit.

With the exception of the Ford Contour this is the poorest set of lights I have ever owned. My motorcycle has much better lighting than this thing and it only has one light. I own another car (BMW) that has no problem lighting up the road and almost never get flashed by other drivers. Apparently someone knows how to do it right. Properly installed HID style will I hope solve some of my problems. I can assure you that I will make every endeavor to adjust them so as not to blind oncoming drivers.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM

PS, the retro fitting that that refers to is mainly reflector housings that do not control the dispersal pattern of light and leads to the blinding pattern you are referring to. Our cars however, have projector housings, just like with any other OEM HID system. In fact, HID's were a common dealer option with these cars. Glare is really a non issue with our housings. This was a major concern with me cause I have always found it highly annoying when I see big *** trucks that are lifted and running HIDs blinding everyone on the road. Thus I compared the cutoff point and dispersal to my father's OEM HID's in his Lexus GS350 (a car approximately the same size and ride height as my 6) and found that though mine were a little brighter, the cutt-offs and dispersal were pretty much identical.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 AM

I do have a small question. In the instructions there is one small step that I don't quite understand. The removal of the small little clips internal to the light. I can't understand what these are supposedly for. Other HID systems don't seem to have these. Of course once these are removed they would be all but impossible to put back in without complete disassembly of the light. I guess that I just want to be sure that this will not cause any ill effects by removing it.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 PM

What clips? If you can post pictures I may be able to help you better. For mine I basically just pulled out the old bulbs, inserted the HID's, drilled the dust cap so the wires could run out the back and the rubber grommet could pop into place, plugged everything in and I was done.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM

There are in the instructions, inserted in red letters, which I clicked on the say 'Glare Mod' . That takes you to a different web page

http://6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4524

Interesting it is. Looking in from the front these little creatures can plainly be seen, I was just wondering what they are used for? I don't know whether to leave them or do as the instructions suggest?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Ah, no idea about that man. I didn't do the anti glare mod as I don't seem to really be getting any. As for what they are for your guess is as good as mine.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:05 PM

After reading the complete thread on this subject I think that I will leave them in and secure. I think that I shall do as you did and go with the 55 watt. No use doing the thing twice. Seems as though it is fairly straight forward. Thank you much for your input.

Quick Reply: headlight