Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

I need every kind of help here!I

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Default I need every kind of help here!

So I am having some nice W2 money come in and I want to blow it on my car! Go Figure!

Here is my goal:
HID(Halo) Lights
Black Front/Rear Light Casings(whole glass is black)

Where do I go? I googled for HID Lights but 1billion places come up and it makes me feel unsafer! My buddy who is a mechanic said he has put in whole head light assembly's(Glass/balasts etc...) purchased from factories but he and myself could not find anywhere.
2004 Mazda 6s 3.0liter V6 - Has around 64k Miles.

Any idea's?

++++

I am getting a rotten egg smell when I beat my car up, I know it catalytic but what is "usually" the first blow considering I am going to buy a magnaflow catback?

Mazda Enthusiasts I need you!

P.S. Where is the cheapest place I can buy a magnaflow catback?

Last edited by Missspeld; 01-18-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM

Not sure what W2 money is, or why it matters. My advice, save your money to use on the engine replacement you'll be needing soon. Precat failure, in conjunction with or causing engine failure is not uncommon with our model year and engine. Beating the car up probably isn't going to help.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by AHan
Not sure what W2 money is, or why it matters. My advice, save your money to use on the engine replacement you'll be needing soon. Precat failure, in conjunction with or causing engine failure is not uncommon with our model year and engine. Beating the car up probably isn't going to help.
Don't say that! What can I do to get rid of the cat problem and I refuse to buy a new engine! Also, I found some information on the head light covers, they are called Projectorz, basicaly a tint that goes on the headlight cover.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, do not put HID's (or did you mean angle eyes?) in any headlamp that does not have a projector lens installed in it. You will not be doing yourself or any other drivers on the road any favors. The usable output from them will be nil and the light scatter far and wide. The police will eventually stop and ticket you for doing it also. And don't assume that they won't find out.
DDM Tuning (specializes in BMW aftermarket. Don't let that throw you) offers Apexcone kits which have all the correct adapters included for the Mazda's. Most of the cheaper Chinese made kits do not and you will be wondering why you can't get them to fit and work properly. Also, the cheaply made ballasts they often come with are a known problem. DDM's prices are quite good but shipping can be a little slow.

Second, as far as I know Magnaflow never offered a cat-back system for the 6 series. Axle-back only, and it is expensive if you can even find one. This means that w/o doing a custom exhaust from the header pipe back you will not solve your cat problem using their system.

Third, solve the cars other problems (or sell it) before spending money on a lot of Mods.

Fourth and most importantly, DO NOT smoke tint your head and tail lights... unless you have a death wish or are the extremely lucky type. It's a bad idea in anything but an off-road show car.
and think of the irony.... first you want better lighting, then you want to reduce the output by tinting? That's cross-purpose modding and just a dumb idea.

I think that addresses all your questions, but know that if you can find a place that still has the Magnaflow axle-back system, it will not come cheap, so don't even go there.

Based on what you've written, you don't seem to be fully knowledgeable or have a complete idea of what you are purposing. Make no mistake about it, these are complicated machines. Therefore, my best advice for you is: Fix the car, drive it, or sell it.
Fix and drive the 6 while you find a simpler project to learn your skills from... an older vehicle with fewer (or no) electronics.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Thank you for your input, I was talking about the halo light's, I have been talking to a lot of my buddies who are car custom guru's and they want me to find everything out for myself before they start helping me. My cat problem will be solved by spring when I start this project, I am going to replace all the cats and custom install header -> Exhaust a magnaflow system which indeed is universal. I am also going to replacing struts shock etc... What I am basically doing now is going through the car and replacing anything that is worn to be ready for spring time. I truly appreciate your concern, and the light projectorz you make a valid point so I will not be tinting them now. I also found a good place to buy the halo lights whom are very reputable.

Once again you definitely opened my eyes a bit more on some stuff and I do have 3 good friends who all of tuners.

Goals my spring:
- Have the turbo finished
- New Custom Headers for turbo
- New Cats
- Magnaflow all the way back.
- Halo Head Lights
- Putting on my 17" Black Enkei's.
- Putting on my black/army green Carbon Fiber Hood + Grill

The turbo will be a every day driver turbo.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Firstly after reading your post again virgin, why would I sell the car when it has a cat problem which is easily solvable by replacing the cats + headers? Second, magnaflow makes a universal mazda 6 catback system. Third, why would I sell a car with 64k miles and just has a cat problem? Fourth, I am not tinting the fronts anymore just the back but have found a nice creative way to keep it safe.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

I meant no offense. It just seemed from reading your post, and I've read thousands of them, that you are young and have little to no experience working with cars and that you were going to get yourself way over your head mechanically and monetarily. Mazda's are not the easiest cars to learn about cars with, so it seemed that if I was correct that it might be a better choice to find something easier to get parts for and to learn about cars on than a Mazda6S V6.
If I assumed too much I do apologize.
Also, I didn't look for a Magnaflow system when I answered your post so my information is about a year old. At that time they only offered an axle-back system (basically mufflers and tails) and it was $900, which to me is ridiculous. I knew somebody that had one on an '03 V6, 5-sp and it sounded great, but $900 worth?? I didn't think so.

Now upon rereading your first post, your car has 64k on the clock. Were you aware that by law in the United States, catalytic converters must be warranted for the first 80,000 miles? That being the case, and no other mods performed, if it turns out your cats are bad, a Mazda dealer should replace them for you free of charge!!
But make no mistake about it, cats are expensive and getting even more-so.

Lastly, tinting any lights on a car is always controversial. I tried it back in the mid-'80's, went very mild and had euro H4 assems installed and they lasted exactly 2 days before I couldn't take it any more.
I am not a fan of making your car, my car or anyone's car HARDER to see out of or to be seen by others. Quite the opposite in fact. It's dangerous and have known those that have been rear-ended because of it.
Often the cops will side with the other party because you have violated the laws that are there to help keep you and others safe.
One was a local Mazda member here that had a car much like mine!! He was rear-ended by an F150 that claimed they couldn't see his tails. He lost the case and HIS insurance had to pay for the damage.

No sir, I cannot condone smoke tinting light housings, front, side or rear.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Virgin, it just so happens I am finally going to a mazda dealership monday to get the computer communications recall and the fan module recall fixed. I will have to call them first thing tomorrow to see if they can do the cats, now it is going to be a rigorous effort to get them changed? I mean I get the rotten egg small ALL the time, what are they going to be looking at.

EDIT: I am also 22, but have worked on my fair share of cars, I am no professional but I know every mechanical basic in a car that upon the knowledge I have attained can make logical decisions on my car

Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Be prepared for a fight. I'm sure they will not just hand over new cats if they can blame the problem on something else. They will use any mods or customer neglect to get out of it, I'm sure.
Make sure your "ducks are all in a row" before you go.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Be prepared for a fight. I'm sure they will not just hand over new cats if they can blame the problem on something else. They will use any mods or customer neglect to get out of it, I'm sure.
Make sure your "ducks are all in a row" before you go.

The previous owners have the reciepts from every oil change from odemeter mile 12 to 52,000, and I have every online receipt. What else should I get?

Quick Reply: I need every kind of help here!I