Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Infotainment Constant Reboot / Looping Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 07:56 PM
Default Infotainment Constant Reboot / Looping Issue

I have a 2016 Mazda 6 touring. My infotainment system constantly reboots (it's especially annoying when it cuts my rear camera out). It gets all the way to showing all of the app icons, and restarts. I've read through forums that this is typically fixed by cleaning the nav SD card found in the center console, which I did but it did not fix it. I've even left the SD card out and it still reboots. Mazda wants to charge me $200 to just look at the problem, and it'll be $1500 to replace the system.

I've debated doing the Apple Car Play aftermarket swap, but I don't know if that will actually fix the problem. Any other methods to fix this? If not, can I just buy the OEM unit somewhere (not sure what it is I'm actually replacing though)? Suggestions?

Old 04-17-2022, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know in the USA, but in Australia, Mazda offers free MZD software updates for the life of the vehicle.

Ask your dealer how much they charge for a MZD software update.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:52 PM

I've debated doing the Apple Car Play aftermarket swap, but I don't know if that will actually fix the problem. NO
Any other methods to fix this? YES but it's not easy involves taking unit apart and reprogramming SIP ROM If not, can I just buy the OEM unit somewhere (not sure what it is I'm actually replacing though)? Suggestions? YES Here

Old 11-13-2022, 07:52 PM

@Mazdaon, can you clarify as your ebay link is not working for me anymore. What is the fix you found? I have the same problem in my 2015 Mazda3.

Old 11-14-2022, 10:56 AM

I think that Ebay link was for a replacement CMU. If you have a NAV SD card please remove it after that press and hold = NAV + Volume Control for a few secs.
If it doesn't fix it, a constant reboot is a symptom of corrupted software in CMU, it's possible to repair but you need to read a lot and have some skills reprogramming SPI ROM.
Or just replace CMU by watching this video:

Old 11-14-2022, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdaon
I think that Ebay link was for a replacement CMU. If you have a NAV SD card please remove it after that press and hold = NAV + Volume Control for a few secs.
If it doesn't fix it, a constant reboot is a symptom of corrupted software in CMU, it's possible to repair but you need to read a lot and have some skills reprogramming SPI ROM.
Or just replace CMU by watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpYF7li31GY
Yeah, I had seen that video online too. Thanks. I know I don't have the programming skills to do the reprogramming that people talk about on other forums.
I tried removing the Nav SD card tonight and that didn't work. So now I'm off to ebay to look at replacement CMUs. My next question -- do you have any pointers to decipher the part #s? My dealer said the part number for my car is BHP1669C0H, and I'm finding ones on ebay that have all of that number up to the 0, i.e. it's missing the H. Does that mean it's the same part, do you know what that last digit means? The automatic fit detector (where you put in your make/model/year) says it should fit, but I'd like to verify....

Old 11-17-2023, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I don't know in the USA, but in Australia, Mazda offers free MZD software updates for the life of the vehicle.

Ask your dealer how much they charge for a MZD software update.
Holy crack, this is very pleasant to here as I have been recently experiencing the issue. I did call in the Mazda dealership about the issue and they said I need to send the car in. I hope they can fix the issue and upgrade the software and firmware for free.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:52 PM

Just posting an update here for any readers, since I was reminded of this thread. I called the dealer, they said it's a known issue (see news article here, I'm not in Seattle but I think the same thing happened) and they had received a few other complaints but had no word from Mazda as to when the replacement computer might be made available. So I went to Ebay and just found a used computer unit, matching the model # as closely as possible. I was able to do the replacement myself, with the video help link someone else posted above. Has been working OK since then.